Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #1 by Wally
Hey Everyone and perhaps especially Jimmy. I'm joining you in doing a nostalgia build for this D-Day GB.
This is the classic 1965 Monogram De Havilland Mosquito B II/FB VI kitset (I mightn't have the Mks absolutely correct) -

The kit has surprisingly good if simplified exterior detail - engraved panel lines and rivets - so what scratch building efforts I do will be limited to cockpit and wheelbays.
I've spent long hours researching subjects for either B or FB versions that can be built from the kitset and eventually decided to build a standard FB Mk VI in the event I can find reference to any 487 Sqn RNZAF aircraft (EG- codes) with D-Day stripes ....? So far so bad .... none .....
If anyone has evidence please post it on here asap?
If I don't turn up any in the next day or two I am drawn to 2 possibilities. Very much to this 613 (City of Manchester) Sqn NS893 SY-Z as shown on Wikipedia -

I especially like this because it is the epitome of rapidly and carelessly applied D-Day stripes. The serial number is obscured and the SY code letters have been painted over completely but are bleeding through the black paint. The aircraft is fabulously weather beaten and oil leaky looking for a Mozzie too.
BUT - 613 uses Sky Code Letters and I don't have any ... (and frankly I am SO SICK of buying code letter decals)

I'll search my stash again tonight and probably appeal on here once I know the exact size. Meantime if anyone has two UK Sky coloured letters 'Z' in around 30" size at 1/48 please let me know. I want to have a go at painting the SY bleed-through ... if I choose this aircraft
The other possibility is a 464 Sqn RAAF Mosquito because they appear to have used Sky Grey Code Letters as in -

Mine will be June 1944 with full wing and partial fuselage stripes. There's also plenty of evidence of rough maybe hand-painted stripes -

I have gotten quite a long way on building it but I have lost a batch of pictures of early steps. I think the camera battery went flat, I charged it and carried on snapping but it had lost what was already stored. Either that or it's a senior moment of old age deletion ....
Tonight will probably be spent self-mixing Aeromaster paints again as I need an Ocean Grey and Med. Sea Grey. Neither will be easy I don't think and I may need to buy some more colours to do it. It's the "consumerables" that get you in this model making game huh!?
More soon
Wally.
PS - a couple of teaser pics. Cockpit and wheels (and yes, I've painted the molded-in seatbelts. I more and more want to retain OOB aspects of these vintage builds)

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Wally. Reason: add couple pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #2 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Good Start Wally. I'll be following along here . . . :)

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 9 months ago #3 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Me too..."Mossie" is a favorite

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 9 months ago #4 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Wonderful to see Wally! Will definately be watching with interest. Monogram really did do well for their time. Looking forward to seeing more.

Jim :)

More
6 years 9 months ago #5 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Watching with interest. I marvel at you plane guys. I tried a plane build or two last year and failed at it. Love the interior so far.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 9 months ago #6 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Looking good so far Wally. Looking at the cockpit pic I presume you are doing a B II version? On the FBVI's the entry hatch was on the starboard side of the cockpit instead of the floor as the 4 20mm hispanos took up the forward bomb bay and under the nose? Or have you just not added a panel there yet? Ignore me if it's the latter....

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 9 months ago #7 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Cheers guys and Gaz, it's the FB VI version but there is no sign of the hatch on the inside. The visible gaps or holes are eventually filled by flats on the inside face of the wings. I finally got to scribing the hatch in the starboard nose around an embossed area presumably meant to represent it. The shape isn't accurate but the nose insert join was so rough and needed so much filler I couldn't scribe into it. Here's before and after shots of the nose. The cockpit interior additions are loosely copied from the Tamiya kitset -

I got from A to B by adding some basic cockpit detail like my scratch built oversize radio set, sidewall detail etc -

Monograms wheelbays are very rudimentary with no wall structure or roof [floor?] and I decided to leave them that way but to obscure the view into the motor area by scratch building a couple of hydraulic tanks (roughly) as per Tamiya. The wheelwell doors have some embossed detail -

There was some cross-member detail on the landing gear struts I decided to leave out too because it was too difficult (for me) to fit afterwards and would have prevented the struts going in if fitted before ... (they were a mission to fit as it was)
Mixed up some satisfactory Aeromaster Med Sea Grey and Ocean Grey colours last night based on my Color of Eagles [useless] stock - whose colours I think are very accurate (pity they're not light-fast) - but now I am in a conundrum as to whether this aircraft was Ocean Grey & Dark Green over Med Sea Grey or just Med Sea Grey with Dk Green disruption pattern on the uppers. Both seem to have been fairly common and inexplicable in terms of squadrons or marks ...?
Anyhow, I need these colours for my two upcoming Tamiya Mozzie commissions.
Based on the Wings Palette picture of a 613 Sqn Mozzie I tend to favour the latter two colour only scheme but Wings Palette is like a bad Wikipedia is it not? There's about 4 different versions of one Mosquito on there ...
Decisions decisions ....
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 9 months ago #8 by Bishop
Very nice simple scratch work there. That solves the problem very well and takes the eye away from what might or might not be behind the tanks.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 9 months ago #9 by Wally
Thanks Bishop, I bless the day I hung on to some pieces of very thick half-round sprue from the old Smer Supermarine Walrus. A couple of razor saw cuts and the bodies of those hydraulic tanks were made in a jiffy. Only problem is I now have five large and two small kitset boxes of bits I have saved ... all pretty much unsorted!

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 9 months ago #10 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Nice job Wally.
Look forward to seeing some more

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11 by Wally
Cheers Tiger
Well things have been going great and things have been going badly, on-and-off ...
I masked the canopy using Eduard's Revell B IV masks in a lengthy cut and paste session, fitted it and painted the interior colour -

Masked off the D-Day stripes areas and painted the whole thing Med Sea Grey -

You can't go past AeroMaster acrylics for brush on smoothness provided you don't have to go around corners, as in disrupted pattern, which I marked out next and proceeded to paint with my (too dark) RAF Dk Green. [Who can spot what is wrong in the next series of pictures?]

Which I then shaded back with 4 progressively lighter versions and some straight Olive Drab -

I did more-or-less the reverse for Med Sea Grey, working from Light to Dark and tidying up the edges (but not perfectly straight). I am much happier with the Grey than with the Green, so I have an adjustment to make in my RAF Dk Green mix - [We are still on "Spot the Huge Mistake Here?]

This photo is the giveaway. Yes, I got all the way through to this stage without noticing I had swapped Grey and Green colours in the camo pattern under the masked (blank) area. I've done this before but consider it a childhood error. The starboard wing tip required stripping and repainting, to look like so -

Then I masked up the white areas of D-Day stripes and proceeded to have a distressing session using Tamiya XF-2 enamel which kept hauling hairs out of my brushes and leaving them in the paint. I hate painting white at the best of times. Later my enamel ran out and I started overpainting using a new bottle of XF-2 acrylic I have which arguably worked better (except for that time factor).

Someone will say "Get an airbrush" but it's okay ... these things are sent to challenge us.
I'm thanking my lucky stars I picked a weather beaten Mozzie even if the D-Day stripes are supposedly new-ish as weathering may cover up some of the marginal paint application ....
I've ordered XtraDecal 24" & 30" Sky Code letters (so don't go searching through your stashes) and please ask if anyone needs code letters or numbers of almost any size or colour in almost any scale. I'll probably have them now or soon!
Chippy Ho

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Wally. Reason: clarify

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #12 by Bishop
Great brush work, but get an airbrush and make even more headaches for yourself ;) Looking very good. Don't forget that the DDay stripes were hand painted on in a very rushed fashion. They don't have to be perfect at all and it makes good sense to brush them in a less than perfect way.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Bishop.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 9 months ago #13 by Wally
My innate laziness made me mask the white stripes off. Decent coverage required 5 coats so they came out kinda thick edged.
I then free-handed on the black so as to create the hand-painted look, trying to keep the messiness "in scale". From a distance they look quite smooth because of the white edges, but up-close I think there is enough untidiness. (I'll be repainting parts of them after decals too)

Next I went to town on exhaust stains and oil leaks, which are indicated in the 613 Sqn photograph of SY-Z

Plenty more painting and weathering to come.
Cheers
Wally

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 9 months ago #14 by Bishop
Perfect, some NCO yelled hard at the minions who painted that. KEEP EM STRAIGHT LADS!!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 years 9 months ago #15 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Nice stuff Wally, look forward to seeing it with the decals on!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 9 months ago #16 by Wally
Thanks Bishop and Fritz, yes, me too, because a bit more work at the weekend and it is now "decal ready", just awaiting the delivery from Hannants, which I expect tomorrow or Wednesday.
I touched some rivet heads on the ailerons and stabilizers with Aluminium -

and generally scuffed and scraped things up a bit using Flat Aluminium where I suspect there is metal and Buff where I suspect wood might have become exposed (very rarely ...?) and, for better or worse, I applied black panel lines. These will mellow a bit as the ink dries and under Dullcote -

I begin to wonder about a base and perhaps a few RAF groundcrew running about the place ...? Or perhaps actually painting the stripes on ....!? (I'd have to freshen them up)
Food for thought eh?
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 9 months ago #17 by de3freak
Replied by de3freak on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
:) ... Greetings ... :) :
Interesting work, I will be watching this one ... :) .

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 9 months ago #18 by Wally
Greetings to you too de3freak. What's in a name?
These decals arrived -

Plus Iliad Decals Canadian Built Mosquitos with one set of roundels and 3 of Fin Flashes. But then looking at Barracuda's and Tamiya's decal placement I realized many of the stencils are covered up by D-Day stripes. I'll save the Barracuda stencils for Tamiya FB Mk VI and use some of the Tamiya stencils -

Ultimately it all took quite a bit of working out because of Mosquito's starboard side fuselage stringer. I figured why use a two or three part decal on it, tried an AeroMaster Seafire fuselage roundel, which wouldn't conform or settle, then a 1/72 Xtradecal 54" roundel - just too thick - and finally used the "all in one" fuselage roundel from Revell 1/48 PV-1 Ventura which conformed pretty nicely and I also like the slightly darker yellow -

But I've got problems as you can begin to see on the fuselage and which become abundantly clear on the wings -

- Even the magic of Testors Dullcote ain't gonna cure this I don't think (and that is despite going lightly over the ridges with 1000 grit sandpaper where I felt able to)
There's also some major proportion issues with the Monogram kit compared to Tamiya, the distance between fuselage and engines and the height of the tail. This especially effected the "Keep Off" decals. I used Barracuda's because they were ever so slightly smaller -

Anyhow, after studying my original subject photo at length I am no longer entirely convinced the Code letters have been painted over. If so, why is there no sign of the black 8" serial numbers through the D-Day stripes? I decided on balance to go along with the idea and last night I tried painting over the code letters. Tamiya acrylic XF-2 Flat White melted the KM Klear glosscoat immediately! I wiped it as best I could, went back over it with gloss and then enamel Flat White .... no problem. Go figure!? Even thinned somewhat the Matt Black [XF-85 Rubber] covered more than I wanted but it's a one shot job this. No second chances. Dullcoted this morning -

Dullcote has certainly improved the ridges in the wings but they are still visible. They would be a major drawback in a live-judged competition I think?
Oh well, it's been fun. Finishing touches tonight hopefully ...
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 9 months ago #19 by Bishop
I really like this. Great work

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 years 9 months ago #20 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Nice to see an older kit getting "caressed" together. I look forward to seeing it with the finishing touches.

More
6 years 9 months ago #21 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Hey Wally Not certain if I would have invested so much time and effort for this old kit, but... You've done your usual good works, sir !!

Ian

More
6 years 9 months ago #22 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Nice work Wally, it looks fantastic :)

More
6 years 9 months ago #23 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
I asked a similar question Ian, but as it turns out Wally does these as commission builds and the buyer provides the kit and Wally tarts them up along the way.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 9 months ago #24 by IAN

Gary wrote: I asked a similar question Ian, but as it turns out Wally does these as commission builds and the buyer provides the kit and Wally tarts them up along the way.

Fair 'nuff - I'm guessing everyone here knows the story of the 'research malfunction' with the Monogram Mozzie ??

Ian

More
6 years 9 months ago #25 by Gary
Nope, enlighten us please mate?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 9 months ago #26 by IAN
OK, quickly....

When Monogram did their research, somewhere along the process the dimensions of the stabilisers and the fin got 'mixed-up' therefore the model has a vertical stabiliser and two horizontal fins :ohmy: ... It's true, check it out, they're perfect, just on the wrong parts of the airframe !!

Ian

More
6 years 9 months ago #27 by Gary
Where is Wally anyway, not seen him for a few days?

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 9 months ago #28 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI
Can't be too much difference in size between them? I just compared the pics wally posted to my mostly assembled tamiya mozzie and can't see too much of a difference between them.
Wally, might be a bit late to fix now but most of the rear framing on the mozzies canopy is internal not external, hence they would be raf interior green on the inside, not the camo colours on the outside. It's not often noticed so prob not a biggy but it's something that's stalled my tamiya build since I can't seem to get the interior framing done to my satisfaction.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
6 years 9 months ago #29 by Bishop
Once upon a time I just painted plane canopies by hand, never noticing the inner frames. I confess that canopies are my biggest fear. Masking is far worse than magic tracks ever were.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 years 9 months ago #30 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic Vintage Monogram 1/48 Mosquito FB VI

IAN wrote: OK, quickly....

When Monogram did their research, somewhere along the process the dimensions of the stabilisers and the fin got 'mixed-up' therefore the model has a vertical stabiliser and two horizontal fins :ohmy: ... It's true, check it out, they're perfect, just on the wrong parts of the airframe !!

Ian

Haa. Dyslexia, apparently 5 out of 3 people are effected by this. :P

Looking mighty fine Wally. The speed you have these models coming off your workbench is astounding, and even more so given the high quality of them, and hand painted!
Same goes for your Wellington!

Jim :)

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee