Tamiya Steyr 1500A

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Dean
  • Dean's Avatar Topic Author
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #1 by Dean
Tamiya Steyr 1500A was created by Dean
This build is actually more advanced than this stage but I want to do it as a series of small posts on my website so I'll do it as a parallel posting here and you'll just have to wait like the rest of the world. I've currently finished the build and have it primed. I'll sort out the stowage before I get into the painting, then the figures, then the base before it all gets tied together. So might be a month or so yet.

I decided it was time to start something new, and I wanted something simple, something I could build right out of the box. Well that was the plan at least, I always say that when I start something new, it never works out that way. So this time around it’s the Tamiya Steyr 1500A. This is a much under-represented model, perhaps as people see it as some kind of staff car more than a small truck. It’s bigger than an Sd.Kfz.250, as long as, but wider than, an Sd.Kfz.251 and almost as big as the U.S. M2/M3 series armoured halftracks.

So the plan with this one took shape overnight. The plan is to depict a vehicle in France in 1944, somewhere around Caen, unit to be decided but leaning toward 12th S.S. Hitlerjurgen. We’ll see. The intention is to have this on a diorama, the story being that as the vehicle began to cross a bridge they have come under fire, the driver is hit and the vehicle slams into the left hand stone bridge wall crumpling the fender. The crew have then dismounted and taken cover. One will be pulling the badly wounded driver free, the officer will be wounded on the bridge and the others giving covering fire whilst another attempts to reach him.

A lot of tweaking will take place as the diorama comes together and the figure poses are finalised, but for now I’ve started on the build by replacing the front left fender with one built from foil so that I can crush it into the wall when done. For this purpose the vehicle will be painted as normal then the fender crunched and the damage painted in before the final weathering with pigments.

For part one I’ll just cover the fender and then over the next few days cover the chassis, body, engine and modifications. I’m up to the point where the vehicle is finished and primed but I don’t want to overload this post with the whole build up to this point so I’ll break it down into several parts.

So this is the fenders with the left one rebuilt from foil, then coated with Mr.Surfacer and primed. The undercoat at this point is just to help make sure the remade fender is as smooth as possible. The finished result is a lot cleaner than the last photo shows but you'll see that in tomorrow's update.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Dean.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 10 months ago #2 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Looks good B)

What foil did you use for the fender? From a roasting/takeaway tray?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
9 years 10 months ago #3 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Yes it does look good,and what a great idea.

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #4 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A

Andrew wrote: Looks good B)

What foil did you use for the fender? From a roasting/takeaway tray?

Yup, and this is the end result. The bumper has been pre-thinned and the sides slightly bowed ready for bending so when the time comes I just need to add a thin layer of glue to soften the remaining plastic and then crash it. The headlight and notek have also both been set with a slight inward lean and the left bonnet panel has been separated from the front to leave a small gap from the impact.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Attachments:

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #5 by Dean

weldingrod wrote: Yes it does look good,and what a great idea.

It takes a bit of patience and effort, particularly with compound curves on things like these fenders but I use it for everything from clothing to fenders that i want to show a lot of damage on. Try something simple like a Pz.Kpfw.IV front fender and you'll see how nicely it mashes up just like the real ones did.

This is a close up which also shows how much of the engine can be seen. The inner curve isn't perfect but considering the whole point is to then mangle it that hardly matters, especially as the mangled fender will be hard up against a stone bridge wall.

Attachments:

More
9 years 10 months ago #6 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Dean, really effective work so far. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
9 years 10 months ago #7 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Wow. Looking good! Thankyou for sharing the fender technique tip!

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #8 by Dean
Rightyho, part 2.

So fenders are done, time to finish off the front. The light mounts have had the lip added around them and the lights have been added as has the notek. The left hand light has been given a bend inwards so that it ends up where I want it when the fender gets pranged. Not much else was done other than opening up the underside of the notek and adding the release lever for it.

The front end comes as one piece ( as shown below ) so it was necessary to carefully cut the bonnet off and then separate the left panel so that when the fender gets pushed in there will appear to be a small gap between the front and side. As the bonnet will be shown slightly ajar I’ve added the formed lip around the top edge of the grille and side panels and added the internal supports on each side panel that attach to the wheel arch. So much for not getting too carried away.

The internal mesh has been added. I used the kit mesh, many photos show a grille with vertical rails but equally there are some with a latticework mesh and while the kit supplied vinyl mesh isn’t the greatest it still looks perfectly fine to my eye. The tools are also added as is the jerry can tray which has had the inside roughed up so I can rust it a bit. This was done by giving it a coating of glue and then stippling it with a short, stiff brush.

That it for now, the dark red undercoat helps pick up the areas that need tweaking. Also helps with the dunklegelb colouring when the main colour gets put on. The chassis is up next in part three together with the wheels. So far this is a great kit, all I’ve had to do to it from an OOB point of view is the usual seam clean up. The details I’ve added so far are only there because I need them for what I’m doing.

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago #9 by Dean
Part three.

Chassis time. This was actually done first but meh, this is the order I’m posting the blog in and they can be done either way around with no difference so doesn’t really matter. Again this is pretty good straight from the box with just the usual mould seams to clean up ( though these are always a pain n the butt on leaf springs ). The exhaust pipe has had the end drilled out and the whole exhaust has had a coating of Mr. Surfacer which has been lightly stippled and then sanded to give a rough texture ready for rusting up.

Because of the intended portrayal of the finished vehicle it was necessary to redo the front steering. The kit comes with the wheels fixed in the straight ahead position but I needed them pushed off to the right and with a slight lean to them to look as if they had been pushed right by the impact of the crash. This meant cutting and repositioning the CV boot covers and the various steering linkages which wasn’t really all that hard to do. Again Mr. Surfacer was used to redo the boot covers on the now expanded side.

As I said the kit chassis is already very good so other than modifying the steering the only real additions added to the underside were adding a couple of missing brake linkages as well as the brake lines and mounts leading to all four wheels. These are just various pieces of stretched sprue and wire. Most won’t be seen from above but due to the high ground clearance of this vehicle if you get down at eye level they are clearly seen.

The wheels are the style with one large piece for the tyre and outer wheel and another for the inner wheel with a separate brake drum. These are a very good fit but they do require a thin layer of filler ( Mr. Surfacer to the rescue again ) to eliminate the join line that WILL show after painting even if it looks like it won’t. The only other addition to the wheels was adding inflation valve stems. The front ones come from the inside out, the rear ones go from the outside in. These are just stretched sprue with a dab of glue on the end to swell it up a little and look like the valve cap.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 10 months ago #10 by Andrew
Looking really good, it's tempting me to pull my Steyr out of the stash :woohoo:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #11 by Dean
It's tempting me to get that Leadwarrior 2000A truck conversion I keep putting off. And maybe the 2000A FlaK conversion.

And the omnibus.

I knew there was a reason I had nine of these. Can't forget the Verlinden radio car version.

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #12 by Dean
Onward, ever upward. Part 4, the engine.

With the front end and the chassis together it quickly became obvious that the view through the mesh as well as the gap left by the partly open bonnet showed quite well the nice empty engine bay. My first thought was to just chuck a rough shaped block of wood painted black in there but after a test try that just didn’t cut it, a lot more detail was needed, and this kit doesn’t come with an engine. So time to scratchbuild one.

I hunted out some reference photos and still not wanting to go whole hog on a totally detailed engine I decided something in the middle would be more than adequate. Taking into account what could be seen I decided to put the effort into the upper front the most. So an hour and various bits of balsa wood, plastic rod, stretched sprue and wire later we have a basic rendition of the engine ( basic covering of Mr. Surfacer and a quick undercoat only at this point ).

A quick coat of paint later and this is what we have. Still a bit bright at this stage ( accentuated by the camera flash ) but not for long.

And after a few tweaks and additions, an oil wash of burnt umber, a matt coat, a little drybrushing and a little dash of rust pigments we have the finished result, all up about 90 minutes worth of engine. Once set inside it looks the part and I’m happy with the result.

More
9 years 10 months ago #13 by Baggemats
Replied by Baggemats on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Looking great! I love all the details :cheer:

More
9 years 10 months ago #14 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Sorry Dean but I just can't see it at the moment, I don't mean to be mean it looks a bit well "melted". Did you carve this or was it made from kit bits etc, if it's carved then I'll take it all back :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #15 by Dean
If you'd read it all you'd see it's made from odds and ends of plastic rod and balsa, no kit parts in there anywhere, and you're seeing it at about twenty times it's actual size.

Try this, these are about lifesize on my screen ( 19" flatscreen thing ). To put it in scale the bottom flywheel is about 5mm across.

The idea is just to give a rough representation of an engine through the mesh and a 2-3mm gap at the front of the hood.

Attachments:

More
9 years 10 months ago #16 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
It looks melted because the paint seems to be see through. It will do the job very nicely indeed once everything is in place.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
9 years 10 months ago #17 by Gary
Yeah it looks much better actual size now :blush:

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago #18 by Dean

Bishop wrote: It looks melted because the paint seems to be see through. It will do the job very nicely indeed once everything is in place.

That's Testors Dullcoat. First time I've used it and not sure I'm happy with it as it does seem to leave an actual layer over everything. This is too damn small and fragile to try and strip it off so will live with it but don't think I'd want to use it on something large.

More
9 years 10 months ago #19 by Gary
I use it on everything, it's great (except on canopies :blush: ) I use it on aircraft, vehicles just about anything when I don't want a shiny finish.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 10 months ago #20 by Andrew
I find the Mr Hobby flat clear works pretty good

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 10 months ago #21 by Andrew

Dean wrote: And the omnibus.

That is a seriously cool conversion, have you seen a built one anywhere?

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago #22 by Dean

Andrew wrote:

Dean wrote: And the omnibus.

That is a seriously cool conversion, have you seen a built one anywhere?

Not yet, but building this was so much fun that I intend to soon.

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago #23 by Dean
Next up is the doors, and here’s where I did my usual break with the planned “don’t do more than has to be done”. First up I decided I wanted the rear doors open, not because they really needed to be but just because I could. This meant redoing the interior of the storage compartment which really should have been done before it all went together, but hey, why do things the easy way. So the little storage section accessed from above was added as well as internal lining and bracing and a middle shelf.

Then the doors needed to be detailed which meant adding the locking mechanisms and wiring to the inside, and redoing the fittings on the outside to make them look closer to the real thing, which included adding the rubber stoppers and redoing the handle. Not really that much to do to these beyond the fiddly little bits ( my hobbies include crawling around under tables with a torch and a pair of tweezers ).

Then the side door dilemma. The outer handles had to go, no question about that, but I really wanted to add the internal grab handle and the mounts for the side glass panels. But the centre part of the doors was too thick. So after much internal debate I just dived in, thinned the doors right back, removing all the internal detail bar the locking mechanism in the process.

Then it was just a case of adding lock tongues, rebuilding the edge bracing, adding the grab handles and the window mounts, drilling the holes in the top of the window mounts and adding the external stopper. Easy peasy and only a day per door, and the whole time asking “are we having fun yet”.

Attachments:

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago #24 by Dean
The photos show the kit door next to the modified door, and yes they still need the final sanding and clean-up ( and yes I slipped with the knife and took a slice out of the lower frame of the door handle inset which I needed to patch up ). The version as seen in the undercoated photos is a huge improvement over the kit doors and from here just needs the final tidy up before the final undercoat. The last series of photos is of the doors to scale ( assuming a 19in monitor set to 1366×768 ) as this gives a better idea of the finished effect without all the grossly magnified scratches etc.

More
9 years 10 months ago #25 by Gary
Looking good mate, makes a difference having that little bit of extra detail. Is the red oxide for the chipping process like I use?

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago #26 by Dean
Nah this is going to be set in the early days of the post Normandy landings so the paintwork will be reasonably fresh but there will be wear around the crash zone. The red is partly as it helps leave areas underneath that don't receive a topcoat and it gives a good base for the dark yellow.

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #27 by Dean
This one brings me up to pretty much where I'm at right now.

This is a really nice kit to build. In fact if you’re not concerned with adding those little scratchbuilt pieces you could probably knock this out in a day and have a damn nice looking kit at the end. You really do have to appreciate the easy and simplicity of a Tamiya build.

On this you get the option of an earlier model with the wheel recessed into the outside or a later model with room to mount one or two spare wheels inside. I’ve gone with the later model but I’ve left the spare wheel separate until it’s painted. So the rest of the body is assembled as per the instructions and goes together well with only some minor filling needed as well as a few shallow pin marks on the inside of the sides.

I’ve added texturing to the bottom of the door wells to represent the treadplate there as well as the four screw heads in each, and also added striker plates for the door locks. The rifle butt holders should actually be clear of the floor by about half an inch ( 0.3mm in 1/35 ) but I figured the effort wouldn’t be worth it as they would be damn hard to clean off and rebuilt so they all looked the same so those I left ( besides which I had already put the body together by the time I decided to get anal, might do them next time ). Likewise I felt the rifle brackets looked good enough so was happy just to drill out the locking clip to make it look a little more like it was hollow as on the real thing.

The main additions to the interior were adding clips to the stowage boxes under the seats and a handle to the one between the sets. I also added the wiper motors and the pedals as the kit ones are just moulded on lumps. Again I only decided to do these after the construction of the body was complete. I really should know by now that I’m going to give in and just do these things from the start. I also added a new handle and the lockdown latches on the small access lid on the rear deck which opens into a small stowage compartment.

The hardest part was adding twelve tie down loops around the upper rear edge. Each of these is 1.5mm long and 0.6mm deep and they pushed my eyes and fingers to their limits trying to make them till I came up with a way which I’ll share with you in a “tips and techniques” article in a could of days. Wish I’d thought of it sooner.

After breaking off the kit mirror not once, not twice, not thrice, but four bloody times I took it as a sign to build a better one, so I did. Glad I did, it looks a lot better. I also decided to add a gas tank to complete the engine bay look, plus some pump thing that I have no idea what is. Turns out you can’t see it but I wasn’t sure so it’s there anyway.

Lastly the folded tilt was added. Again the kit supplied part is very good so I used that but used a little Mr. Surfacer to accentuate some of the folds and to blend it in where it touches the deck and in particular where it folds over the tilt frame sides. That was it, I was happy with the kit seat texture so that got left alone, just stick the doors on, undercoat and leave.

Oh, and you may notice the first of around half a dozen bullet holes that has been added to the hood. To do that I had to do a LOT of thinning of the hood from inside so I could poke a hole in. I used a video off Youtube of some rednecks shooting up cars as a guide for how the bullet holes should look.

Now it gets left until I sort out the stowage and figures before the final painting. I’ve started on the first two figures which will be the focus of the next update. You may have noticed that the steering wheel is missing, that will get added toward the end as I need to off to get the driver figure in.

• Dean
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #28 by Dean

Attachments:

More
9 years 10 months ago #29 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Impressive mate. Did you carve the seat folds yourself or where they like that already?

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

More
9 years 10 months ago #30 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: Tamiya Steyr 1500A
Just got to love those extra little parts you add to your models Dean,
Nice work and lets see that tips and techniques section on making tie down hooks.:cheer:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary