TOPIC: 1/48 Hasegawa SBD-4 DAUNTLESS - 23 Sqn RNZAF NZ5039

1/48 Hasegawa SBD-4 DAUNTLESS - 23 Sqn RNZAF NZ5039 5 years 6 months ago #1

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
I appear to have messed up by going back to Irving and selecting New Topic? It was supposed to be a whole new topic. Sorry bout that chief.
This is Hasegawa's 1/48 SBD-4 Dauntless, largely neglected and somewhat derided because of the superb Accurate Miniatures kitset(s) but I found it better-than-adequate, enjoyed building it (aside from drilling out 256 holes in the dive brakes) and especially enjoyed harshly fading & weathering it as NZ5039 in USN Blue-Gray over Lt Gray (though opinion exists they were all delivered in early USN 3 tone scheme. If so it must have been awfully faded!). I put Yellow-Green practice bombs on her. The sectional canopy fit in open position was the biggest challenge. She's my touchstone for weathering. I've yet to do as good again though I hope to on PBY-5 Catalina currently en-route from the USA. If anyone has interchanged Ventura roundels & bars for AeroMaster on RNZAF PBY-5 please let me know which ones to get? I figure 1/32 Dauntless, Corsair or Avenger or some combo might work. I don't know how to fade decals & A/Ms are too dark. Cheers, Wally.
Loving this site; taking photos, posting them and looking at other people's builds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Re: 1/48 Hasegawa SBD-4 DAUNTLESS - 23 Sqn RNZAF NZ5039 5 years 6 months ago #2

• Andrew
  • Away
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 561

Wally wrote: Loving this site; taking photos, posting them and looking at other people's builds.

B)

That's what it's all about Wally :woohoo:

Glad you're enjoying posting, and I enjoy looking at your builds. Do you intend to ever build some RNZAF 1/32 aircraft?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeBishopAndrewMaartenCyNaKyLGary1/35th Battalion