Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: When is modelling not modelling.......

When is modelling not modelling....... 1 week 1 day ago #1

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 924
STOP reading now if you don't like Lord of The Rings, Tolkien or Cosplay, this has no tanks, planes or guns :)

I've been told it's still a form of modelling because I'm making something, but anyway in case you wondered what I've been building for the past month here it is and it's not a model....
Some of you may remember my venture in to the world of Cosplay as some would call it when I went to the International Hobbit day at MataMata last year. I scooped first prize for my 6' Dwarf costume. Well I'm going again this year and this is what I've been making.

The Helmet started life as a 3D model I found on the net, this was then turned in to a 2D model and using my die cutter I cut it out, this was then glued back together, covered in resin, fibreglassed up inside, covered in car bog and sanded back down. Wings and detail were added using 3mm foam and coated once more in resin and painted.

I've even made all the straps and buckles, punched all the holes and used special rivets that need a dolly and punch to close up

The chest and back plates were made by taking a plaster cast of my torso courtesy of my wife, no I'm not going to share that photo.
I then laid up the plaster cast with fiberglass, I added black pigment to the resin when I laid this so I could see where I was putting the resin and chop.

The White Tree on the chest is made from 240g card stock I cut on the die cutter and joined, there are 3 layers to get the "depth" right.

Here is the front plate.

I'm just starting on the Pauldrons (shoulder pads), these are foam back with fibreglass to make them rigid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

When is modelling not modelling....... 1 week 1 day ago #2

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 522
Now that is pretty damn cool Boss!! :woohoo:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

When is modelling not modelling....... 1 week 20 hours ago #3

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
looking very cool Gary! Reminds me of when I worked on Xena.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

When is modelling not modelling....... 1 week 20 hours ago #4

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 924
What did you do on Zena? Not too mad about the series was a bit limp but keen to know more especially if you worked on the props etc.
I'm teaching myself new stuff all the time, take the shoulders, I was going to just use foam, heat it up, bend it to shape and that should be all you need but no it's too flimsy for my liking so I'm adding fibreglass on the underside to strengthen it. Then the top still looks porous so I'll paint it in clear resin and paint it like I did the other parts.
The shoulder parts will be linked by leather straps riveted to each section, this is how real Pauldrons were made.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

When is modelling not modelling....... 1 week 12 hours ago #5

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1674
Outstanding stuff. “Guard if the citadel indeed”

Amateur plastic surgeon!

When is modelling not modelling....... 1 week 11 hours ago #6

• frawlepa
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
It's not modelling - it's a work of Art! Awesome Gary!

When is modelling not modelling....... 2 days 20 hours ago #7

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237

Gary wrote: What did you do on Zena? Not too mad about the series was a bit limp but keen to know more especially if you worked on the props etc.

I did some work with the set painters and then on the last episode of Xena, making props. Made a lot of swords and skulls/bones using expanding foam and silicon molds. It was great fun.
We used alot of shellac (the flakey kind), mixed with Methylated spirits, and another product called Black Shield, which I think, was a tar based roofing sealant.
Basically the Shellac was a gloss coat, and black shield was a wash.

One cool thing I learnt using Shellac, was if you applied it to, lets say a prop boulder, and flicked water at it while it was still wet, it would give you this mossy weathered effect.

You can probably tell, I like Shellac :whistle:

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary