Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #1 by Wally
With one month to go tomorrow and since I am building this commission anyhow, I thought I'd enter yet another one in D-Day GB.
F/Lt Jim "Black Jack" McCaw (Ritchie's Grandfather) shot down 4 x V1 'Divers' during one sortie on the evening of 8/9 July 1944 in this aircraft, Hawker Tempest Mk V Series 1 or Early, JN588 SA-Y. This build uses the somewhat aging but arguably still best-in-scale Eduard Profipak kitset -

This is a 'short run' type injection kit with a complete resin cockpit, a small PE fret of interior & exterior detail, film instruments, Express masks & decals for 3 aircraft including 486 Sqn's SA-N in April '44 with Tempest underwind recognition stripes -

Mine also came with a bad fault in the canopy moulding -

I've asked Eduard for a new one and ordered a vacform one from Hannants.
I've also been doing quite alot of research around what the status of the squadron's invasion stripes might have been in early July and my best guess is the aircraft were still wearing full D-Day stripes at this time -

My luck and patience must have been 'in' because the resin cockpit with its tiny PE levers and controls assembled very nicely. The seat seems ridiculously shallow and I'm told it is "fictitious", although a look at some 1/32 aftermarket ones for the PCM kit shows a somewhat similar appearance ...?

I used Eduard RAF late seatbelts instead of the unpainted kitset ones. I'll save them for something that can't be seen so well. The cockpit went together reasonably easily too, just a little gentle persuasion needed on one of the sides ...

There's also a nice PE oil (or super-charger?) cooler grille -

And hereafter begin the "fit issues". The cockpit is much shorter than the instructions indicate and a whole new 'groove' for the front bulkhead must be created. The air intake lower cowl insertion requires filing down for the fuselage to close -

Once adjusted though the fuselage closed up very nicely. I came very close to not needing any filler (except on the underside of the cowling) -

Similarly the wings assembled well after inserting the wheel wells and landing lights.

I am not a big fan of the (grey) Express masks though. In fact I wonder why Eduard even make them ...? Wish I'd included a Yellow Kabuki set in the Hannants order.
Oh well, that's enough for a first posting. This progress represents 3 sessions at the desk.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Wally. Reason: clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #2 by Bishop
Looking very good so far. I really want to get back to the desk myself, but unpacking it is taking a very long time.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #3 by IAN
All good, Wally.

Ian

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #4 by Wally
Thanks Ian ... and Bishop, if it helps, I am hanging out to see more of your work.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #5 by Wally
Those good'ole "fit issues" continued with the wings-to-fuselage assembly which is a wee ways shy of perfect.
I have never had much luck filing and sanding wing roots and consequently I do as little as possible to them.
Some sanding, Mr Surfacer 500 and more sanding but there's going to be a black walkway decal in the area anyhow.

One also has to carve up the wing leading edge to accommodate the long cannon -

That done and some joins cleaned up I masked the edges of the invasion stripes and proceeded with the underside colour, self-mixed Med Sea Grey -

3 shadings of it, with a little more Sky added each time.
At this point I decided I was going to proceed with the uppers painting and consequently attach the windshield.
So with a new canopy ordered and nothing to lose I took to the original faulty canopy with worn out P1000 paper, then some wooley material and a coat of KM Klear each side. My very first ever CANOPY SAVE!!!!

It might serve the purpose at a pinch although I probably won't use it.
I had no idea you could resurrect clear parts until a recent truck build on here showed it can be done. Sorry not to remember more detail about that but thanks to whoever it was. And so on with the Ocean Grey, again, self-mixed AeroMaster acrylic -

3 shades again and then the first coat of RAF Dk Green -

and this gets shaded 3 times too -

I'm probably precariously close to or even over-the-line with this shading but there is a method to my madness.
I want the 3 - 4 month old camouflage paint to contrast with the 1 month old invasion stripes, which will be very 'clean' if imperfectly hand-painted.

Began masking the invasion stripes this morning.
I'll mask and paint the white then hand-paint the black without masking. It worked well for Seafire III and 2 x Mozzies so far.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #6 by KitModellerNZ
Loving it Wally!

I had a 1/48 Typhoon on order before I switched to the dark side of 1/32, but I love the Tempest.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 1 week ago #7 by Wally
Lost my place a bit here. I've more-or-less finished the painting.
After masking off the black stripes I painted the white ones, carefully incising out the fuselage roundel area to avoid the black showing thru the decal.
Then freehanded the black and masked and painted the sky fuselage band.
Only the wing leading edge yellow and some touch ups to go -

This Tempest build and my "Weekender" (yeah, right!) Spitfire Vb have kind of dovetailed together -

Cheers

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 1 week ago #8 by Maarten

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
6 years 1 week ago #9 by Flying_Kiwi
Wally, since you are a brush only guy how do you get the shading done? is that a light brushing after?.

As always these are looking so good!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 1 week ago #10 by Wally
I've tried all sorts of techniques for my shading and yes, it's essentially a light brushing in layers on top of a base coat .
It can work from light to dark shades but I am tending more often to use (more-or-less) dark to light.
I can only achieve it with AeroMaster acrylics and to a lesser extent with Tamiya & Humbrol enamels (though I haven't tried every brand of paint)
In the case of RAF Dk Green (say) on this Tempest, I do a coat of 'fresh' RAF Dk Green (self-mixed).
Then I mix some with a darker green, in this case IJN Dk Green, and go roughly over an area around the panel lines.
Then I mix RAF Dk Green with Sky &/or Light Grey and "scrabble" around brushing a lighter shade over the panel area.
I very often do this again using an even lighter shade of Dk Green to 'highlight' a small area of each panel.
Strange as this may sound, the more I do it the less careful I am becoming.
My models have a 'painterly' finish anyhow and aside from microscopic evaluation the brush stroke technique looks much the same no matter how careful I am.
The rougher the technique the more worn the panels look is about all.
Cheers

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 1 week ago #11 by Flying_Kiwi
i'm always amazed at your finishes wally, allot of your stuff really stands out (i'm thinking the 1:48 Walrus) i did all my stuff with brushes until about 4 years ago and i think you can do just as good a job!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

More
6 years 1 week ago #12 by Fritz
Nice work Wally, Love the Tempest, I think it has to be my favourite British WWII fighter.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 6 days ago - 6 years 6 days ago #13 by Wally
Thanks for your comments people.
Fritz, do you know that Special Hobby are poised to release a 1/32 Tempest with 486 Sqn markings?
It's on Future Releases at Hannants including a picture of the box art, which, in my opinion, shows incorrect markings (Yellow ringed upper wing roundels)
Anyhow, knowing Special Hobby, it should be a quality kitset (if a little short-run-ish).
Meantime my Eduard 1/48 version has progressed through painting and staining to application of decals -

These are the Eduard insignia and stencils plus Xtradecal Sky Code Letters.
I would have liked to do camouflage 'undercolour' outlines like these kit decal ones but I cannot match the kit code letters and there's no 'Y' in there anyhow -

I strongly suspect 486's D-Day stripe application was 'rough' like this but unless I can find a suitable green paint pen to apply these 'undercolour outlines' freehand they will have to go unbordered, as indeed most drawings and profiles show them.
So if anyone has encountered (suitable) fine tip paint pens please let me know? I shall search online of course
As with Hasegawa Spitfire Mk Vb I have a few silvering problems with some of the Eduard stencil decals (which don't show on this pic but do below) -

But all-in-all Tempest is looking pretty good.

More soon.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 6 days ago by Wally. Reason: remove italics and clarify

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 5 days ago #14 by Wally
Nearly finished this now. I fitted Eduard's rather nicely detailed but somewhat difficult undercarriage.
The resin weighted tyres give the aircraft a really weighty powerful look -

Did some redrawing of panel lines through decals, walkway scuffing and fitted the propellor, which I adapted for tight fit and non-removability -

Then I sat looking at it thinking, "Is this really the finished model"?

or do I try to find a paint pen and do the camouflage colour outlines ...?

In the end I figured I had achieved the 'outline' look quite well with my thinnest brush on Buzzy Bplanes so I just went for it "do or die" -

It may not withstand extremely close-up scrutiny but personally I think this look is the absolute making of the thing.

I also believe it is far more historically accurate -

Dullcote then touch-ups and she's all done.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 5 days ago #15 by Kiwimav

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Attachments:

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 days ago #16 by Michaels Models
Looks awesome, really like the walkway scuffing.

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 days ago #17 by KitModellerNZ
She's looking superb Wally. Love the fading you have achieved as well as that wear and tear.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 5 days ago #18 by Wally
Thanks guys
I meant to mention the bad luck I have had with canopies for this.
The kitset 'rescued' canopy is just barely adequate but it may have to do the job.
No word from Eduard about shipping me a replacement, though they have acknowledged receipt of my request weeks ago.
So when I opened the Vacformed canopy I ordered from Hannants I was most disappointed to find a crease in it -

Is that visible in the middle of the top ...?

It only cost about $3.00 but I think my finished Tempest is going to have a slightly 'foggey' bubbletop ... Oh well ....

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 4 days ago #19 by Wally
Testors Dullcote really is the most wonderful product!!! Nicely dulled almost every blemish in my Tempest and I finished it off with wingtip lights, whip aerial and some adjustments to the kit canopy, which I tack glued in place. This morning I received confirmation from Eduard that a replacement has been shipped .... ain't it the way of things ...? (Shouldn't be too difficult to change over) -

So here are some finished photos which I will include in this thread -
Hawker Tempest Mk V (Early) JN758 SA-Y of 486 Squadron RNZAF (RAF) in which F/L Jim "Black Mac" McCaw downed 4 x V1 Flying Bombs on 8 July 1944
1/48 Eduard Profipak kitset, Tamiya enamel & AeroMaster acrylic paints, kit + Xtradecal decals, Testors Dullcote

A very enjoyable and somewhat challenging build.
Now I have to choose just five pictures for the GB comp ... darn ....
Thanks for looking, all feedback welcome ... Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 4 days ago #20 by Nosferatu
Wow!! Nice Job Wally!!! Your Brush work is outstanding...You should be proud ..she's a good looking bird!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 4 days ago #21 by Wally
Thanks Nos, much appreciated.
I am rather proud of it, considering the 'short run' kit challenges and difficulties like the canopy and marking outlines.
The other thing I notice about Tempest is it's an incredibly powerful looking aircraft. I love the angle it sits up at on its undercarriage.
Must have been an amazing thing to fly.
Cheers.

I enjoy doing research

• Dangermouse84
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 4 days ago #22 by Dangermouse84
Very, very nice Wally. Love your work

Slow is steady, steady is fast

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 4 days ago #23 by Kiwimav
bloody nice work Wally...excellent...she stands really nice
really like you work too

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 4 days ago #24 by IAN
Definitely another one of those types with 'presence'. Nice job, Wally.

Ian

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
5 years 11 months ago #25 by Wally
FINAL FIVE PICTURES - Hawker Tempest Mk V SA-Y 486 Squadron RNZAF (RAF), June 8 1944

Wally - 6 Nov 2014

I enjoy doing research

More
5 years 11 months ago #26 by Nosferatu
I love this build Wally!! Well Done!! Gonna have to get me one now!

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
5 years 11 months ago #27 by Wally
Cheers Nos. Don't discount the impending release of a 1/32 version by Special Hobby with RNZAF markings.
I hope I've done this right? Those five pics are my final entry pics for the GB comp. The one's you'll vote on.
Or was I supposed to start a new thread ...?

I enjoy doing research

More
5 years 11 months ago #28 by Glenn
Looks really good wally :) nice work

More
5 years 11 months ago #29 by Nosferatu
Would Love a 1/32nd!! Might have to wait till after the new corsair tho!

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #30 by Kiwimav
I want one now too, thanks Wally. Awesome build of an awesome airframe. Well done.

d2

Update In Stash:

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee