Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #1 by Wally
So much armour being built on here at the moment I thought I'd better remind some of yous folks about the D-Day GB and throw in an aircraft to boot.
My second entry - fee is on the way Gary - and I'd never have thought it would be another Mosquito -

Although not exactly finished as per the box. This is a commission, NFXIII converted to NFXII (or XIII Early?), RNZAF 488 Sqn, MM466, ME-R, as flown by F/L G E Jameson over Normandy June/July 1944 -

My biggest challenge will be the Early Thimble nose for which there is no aftermarket version - as in 1/72 & 1/24 scales - so I will have to scratch or adapt something, although I sorely wish I was better at computer stuff and could design, print (and on-sell) a 3D version. If anyone can help, let me know? Here's a 1/72 version from the interweb -

My Tamiya 1/48 kitset comes with a stack of resin and aftermarket detail courtesy of or agreed by the client -

That's Eduard Zoom Cockpit, UltraCast Wheels, Guards & Tailwheel and Aires Bomb Bay with Hispano Cannon, probably finished with the rear bomb bay doors closed.
I'm not getting to the bench as often as I'd like presently so this could be a protracted build.
It's a mighty impressive kitset too as many of you will know.
See yous later.
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Gary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #2 by Glenn
Nice kit and some nice goodies there wally :) Going to be great watching it come together :woohoo:

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #3 by IAN

Wally wrote: So much armour being built on here at the moment I thought I'd better remind some of yous folks about the D-Day GB and throw in an aircraft to boot.

Wally.

As far as I'm aware, Wally, the D-Day GB doesn't preclude armour projects whether they be allied or German. However I like the idea of another Mozzie build. Will be watching closely as I'm determined to build mine sometime this year.

Ian
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by IAN.

More
6 years 8 months ago #4 by Gary
My C-47 isn't armour.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 8 months ago #5 by Fritz
Ha ha i have noticed lots of armour to! I must get some photo's up of my early jet build to help us fly boys out.. Look forward to seeing more of this build Wally. That aires bomb bay set looks very nice.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
6 years 8 months ago #6 by Bishop
Yes, lots of armour. The pendulum was swinging to far in one direction now it's back the other. Come on you plane guys and girls, we'll balance this yet.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 years 8 months ago #7 by Tiger
Nice kit Wally and nice extra bits and pieces.
It will be nice to see how this turns out :woohoo:
Dave

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 8 months ago #8 by Wally
Just so yous know I am serious -
I think there is probably a business opportunity staring us modellers - or someone - straight in the face right here right now.
It is the possibilities of 3D printed aftermarket parts, conversion sets, figures, diorama accessories etc etc etc, et al.
I could rattle off a dozen possibilities right here, this 1/48 NFXII Early Thimble Radar Nose being just one of them
Another - many figures for railway and dioramas in almost any scale you can mention appear stuck in the 1950s to me.
I want to do a 1/24 diorama with Surfers in Wetsuits .... check out 1/24 or 1/25 surfers .... they are early Beach Boys era .... you get my drift (so to speak)
The great thing about 3D printing - as I understand it - is you can either sell the parts or just the specs.
If anyone is interested - or just interested in assisting me to print the NFXII nose - email me (see my signature) or PM me ...
Crikey .... that's putting it out there eh?
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 8 months ago #9 by Gary
I posted a link not long ago about a company that does just this, you can either pick one of the pre designed components or send them your own design and they will print it off for you.
I'm saving for my 3D printer now and I'm hoping to have it within the next 6 months (sooner if I she keeps buying expensive shoes ;) )

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 8 months ago #10 by Viperbuilder
Before you start Wally you should know that George Jameson's MM466 was a Mk.XIII with the bull nose per Tamiya's kit. Some years ago I was fortunate enough to see a photo George had taken of his aircraft and it clearly showed the bull nose and the standard DH props (not the later )paddle blade type. He scored his eight kills on MM466 between 24 June and 6 August 1944. I have a picture in one of my Mossie books of MM466 after it had changed hands to another squadron that I might be able to find over the weekend and post here.

Cheers
Steve

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #11 by Wally
Let me just say this, "Mate!"
Let me say that again, "MMMMAAAAATTTE!" (Am I allowed to say "I love you" on here .....?)
You are an absolute CRACKER!
I was feeling ambivalent about attempting the Thimble Nose conversion - negatively apprehensive & positively challenged - but now it can wait until another time (I still think there's a place for an aftermarket part or 3D print design) - and my client gets the excellent kit Bull Nose and perhaps the first correct model of the aircraft!
You have MADE MY YEAR!!! (so far anyhow)
Thanks in bucketloads
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Wally. Reason: clarity

More
6 years 8 months ago #12 by Viperbuilder
Happy to be of assistance Wally. Unfortunately I can't always be a regular on this forum because of other commitments but them's the breaks. I have that bogus illustration of MM466 in my stash as well and when I first saw it years ago I was left wondering? However, it didn't take long to track down the 409 sqn picture of MM466 to convince me otherwise. Then a bit later came George Jameson's own photo of his aircraft. The picture showed the aircraft underneath camo-netting, starboard side, and it was excellent condition, i.e. no worn paintwork or staining to be seen on the airframe. It was in the standard paint scheme with nothing notable about the finish.

I have another picture of MM466 this time looking down on it from a tower or building; I just can't locate it at present but it is another of its time in 409 (Canadian) Sqn hands. The image I've included here is one that is in a number of Mosquito publications of MM466 in 409 Sqn markings. I've also included a couple of extracts that will be of interest to you about MM466 and George Jameson.

Regards
Steve

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 8 months ago #13 by Wally
Steve
Wonderful information mate. Thanks so much.
I have altered the title of this build to suit.
Should have first pics in the next few days.
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #14 by IAN
It's all your fault, Wally.... Last night I retrieved my Tamiya FBVI from the stash and started fondling the plastic..... as if I haven't enough projects surrounding my bench at the moment !! :S

Ian
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by IAN.

More
6 years 8 months ago #15 by Gary
Yeah and I keep gazing at my Airfix one as well now....... :pinch:

More
6 years 8 months ago #16 by IAN
We're just so easily led !! :whistle:

Ian

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 8 months ago #17 by Wally
Okay, well, allow me to lead you on further.
I suggest - as in hypnotic suggestion [eeeriee sounds here] - that you both build your Mosquitos for KM's D-Day GB
You will awaken in 10 seconds unable to prevent yourself from doing this ..... 10, 9, 8 ....

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #18 by Gary
Is that on top of having spinal surgery, finishing the Dakota, the Auto Group build, the Early Jets Group Build and organising the Armistice in Cambridge event?
Sorry I'm Toydarian and your Jedi Mind tricks won't work on me........
Besides the Mighty B-17 is calling me first.

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Gary.

More
6 years 8 months ago #19 by IAN
....and I'm already commited to building a P-51, Wally. But the mozzie will be built this year. Already have a number of decal sheets and some resin wheels aswell as the (obligatory ?) Eduard Zoom set. I will try to get mine done for the Armistace show in November.

Ian

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #20 by Wally
Upon informing my client about Viperbuilder's confirmation this aircraft was an NFXIII, he came back to me with a very recently acquired photograph of a Ron Bristow drawing of the aircraft - drawn from a photograph - which also confirms this -

Although the drawing depicts Jameson shooting down a Ju88 - ostensibly 28/29 July 1944 - it seems the Mosquito is not wearing D-Day stripes at all, or possibly only on the underwings. Now I must find out [or decide] if the D-Day stripes were still on the underside of the wings and fuselage, which seems highly likely at this date based on photos I've seen from many other squadrons.
Anyhow, I have made a start on the build, albeit a slow and very careful one because there is so much resin involved.
I was supplied with Aires Wheel Bay and was going to save it for the FBVI build but one look at the totally plain rear wall and only partial front wall of the kit's wheel bay - reminiscent of the old Monogram kit I built recently - and it becomes a no-brainer. I'll obtain another Wheel Bay set for FBVI. I'm no great fan of resin sets though. They are never as easy as they seem, brittle, sometimes with gnat's eyeball sized parts and often have very incomplete or indistinct instructions, like these Aires ones -

So do I remove the partial front wall or not? It is not even shown. Do I remove the rear wall or stick the resin part straight onto it? There's no key that says "grey = remove" (although I think it's a safe assumption). The other thing is I find resin so much easier to cut and adapt than injected plastic. Aires provides new landing gear holes in the front wall but fitting it requires cutting the whole front section out of the kit's wheel bay roof -

I don't like this idea and don't want to do it so I set about adapting the resin front wall to fit flush with the existing landing gear holes.
Call me a coward (resinphobe?) but I think it will work -

It seems to all fit on some rare occasions where I've found enough fingers and hands to hold all the parts together. I'm too scared to glue anything yet ...
And I've also made a very tentative start on the bomb bay. Cutting the resin block off it was one hell of a mission though. In fact, I used a bench grinder in the end.

Getting it flush leaves a membrane thin bomb bay roof. I had to repair one small section and there's no provision I can see for the kitset bomb bay front wall which forms an important part of the cockpit. Absolutely nothing in the Aires instructions about the kit parts which must be used with this bomb bay, notably the wing mount pillars. So that's my beef with Aires today. Plenty of pros. The details in their resin castings are brilliant. The bench looks a mess right now.

I'm at the point of gluing the gnat's eyeball sized gun mount cross-braces to the cannon -

Oh, and there's the Grey = Remove key I was looking for! (I thought as much)
More soon
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by CyNaKyL. Reason: Fixed the aircraft type being shot down =)

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #21 by IAN

Hi Wally

Found these two pics from a guy called Ron Watts who was with 488 Sqn from 1942. Don't know whether they'll help or hinder !! - In the second one taken in the winter 44/45 you can see that the aircraft has the later two-stage Merlin 72/76 engines.

Ian
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by IAN.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #22 by Wally
Thanks so much Ian, those photos are extremely interesting, especially the first.
I can't quite read the front code letter - is it 'Z' ? - but this picture indicates not only that partial invasion stripes are in place but they are covering the lower part of the 'ME' squadron code letters. Most of the drawings I've seen of MM466 show the full ME codes on top of partial invasion stripes but this photo seems to contradict that and photos take precedence as far as I am concerned.
I rather like the idea - underwing stripes and partial fuselage stripes partly covering the ME codes - and it seems to fit with other photos I've seen where the initial D-Day stripes completely obscured the squadron Code Letters or later partially obscured them.

ME-B is shown on Wings Palette and identified as a Mk XX.
Both aircraft appear to have black spinners, although it's a bit difficult to be certain with photo 1. Black spinners would be my preference but if the Bristow drawing is accurate ME-R's spinners are most likely Med Sea Grey.
Thanks again mate. Awesome.

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Wally. Reason: add photo

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #23 by IAN

Wally wrote: Thanks so much Ian, Both aircraft appear to have black spinners, although it's a bit difficult to be certain with photo 1. Black spinners would be my preference but if the Bristow drawing is accurate ME-R's spinners are most likely Med Sea Grey.
Thanks again mate. Awesome.

Caution, Wally !!

In all the photos EXCEPT ONE (and as you said photos are always preferred over drawings), that I have seen on the net and in books of Mosquitos in the MSG/DG disruptive scheme, only those fighters/night intruders where black forms all or part of the camouflage were the spinners black . Some aircraft in the Coastal Command scheme also possibly had black spinners, as did some that were assigned to SEAC in 1945 and black spinners could be found on many wartime & post-war aircraft in overall silver dope (and some T3 trainers otherwise in overall yellow). The dark tone in the second photo would more likely be Ocean Grey.

The exception is a an FBIV (RS566) of 515 at Little Snoring in late '44 and that has under-fuselage stripes (correct for the period) with red code letters re-applied over them, and what appears to be black spinners and a thimble radome for the A.I. Mk XV (ASH) radar.

Hope this doesn't confuse things too much.... :unsure:

Ian
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by IAN.

More
6 years 7 months ago #24 by Tiger
What a cool subject. Your research and attention to historical accuracy is to be commended.
Looking and watching this Wally :woohoo:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 7 months ago #25 by Wally
Thanks Ian for the caution and the information and Tiger for your encouragement.
I have almost nothing to report! Got my reading glasses fixed in Kaikohe but work is achingly slow on the resin. Almost nothing fits as shown on the instruction drawings and how, I wonder, does one get the pin-head sized end of the hose to attach to the cannon magazine ...!?
(Drill a little hole I guess? I didn't think of that at the time ... Der!).

Even in the packet nearly every little hinge pin had broken off the bomb bay doors and I broke one more trying to remove the flash on it.

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of resin. What keeps me going is how good I know it's going to look.
Made a start on the cockpit preparing the IP for Eduard film instruments. The bench is about the messiest it's ever been with 3 or 4 mini-sub-builds going on at the same time!
It's gonna be a long haul this one. Challenging and worthwhile.
Cheers

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #26 by CyNaKyL
Looking good so far Wally. The Tam Mossie has got to be one of the easiest kits I've built in a while, and I must get back to it at some point and finish the damned interior canopy framing.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by CyNaKyL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wally

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #27 by johnsnz

CyNaKyL wrote: BTW, I fixed your earlier post with the drawing by changing your description of the aircraft being shot down to the correct type (B)

:whistle: moderation in action.....
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by johnsnz.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 7 months ago #28 by CyNaKyL

johnsnz wrote: :whistle: moderation in action.....

I couldn't help myself. Little things like that bug the hell out of me and I'd go nuts if I didn't fix it.
And I say SWMBO is OCD.... :ohmy: :lol:

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #29 by johnsnz
Fixing it is one thing letting EVERYONE else know that you have fixed it is another I guess the question is because you can, should you???

Wally great work I wish I had a 10th of your skill.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by johnsnz.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #30 by CyNaKyL
Fair call, fixed now...
Although knowing how fastidious Wally is with his research and how he likes to get things right, I didn't think he'd mind me fixing it for him.
Wally, care to confirm or deny for me?

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by CyNaKyL.

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee