This group build is to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It will run from 10th of July to 31st of October, 2015, following the dates of the battle.

The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the Battle of Britain. While the Battle of Britain is foremost remembered as an air battle, builds including figures (e.g. famous historical figures from the battle), vehicles and armour (e.g. AA guns) and dioramas (e.g. airfield dioramas) are eligible provided a documented link can be established.

The model must be built entirely within the build dates to qualify, and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post your sprues at the beginning of the thread! By the end of the group build (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the group build forum which will be organised shortly.

To discourage cynical entries the build is open only to those who have been members of KiwiModeller for two months at the start of the group build and with at least thirty posts in the forums. So lurkers, get posting now if you want to enter! I will also vet for cynical or “gaming” entries and vote rigging.

No entry fee will be charged, but this is a good opportunity to make a donation to the upkeep of KiwiModeller.

The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1 - P3854 OK-1 Keith Park

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
4 years 9 months ago #1 by Wally
Begun last night, so this will be an eight day Hurricane if I make it across the line. I'd like to do a couple of armourers and a Keith Park pilot figure too as I plan to have the port gun bay open. We'll see how that goes -

First impressions of the kit - beautifully molded with superb accuracy, surface detail, texture and general detail more like a 1/32 kit, but also with many ejector pin marks, including smack in the centre of the wheel well roofs and cockpit floor beneath the rails.
Not easy to find definitive information about the two Hurricanes, both coded OK-1, which Keith Park apparently flew during the Battle of Britain. I've gone with the better known one. There's only one historical photo I can find which shows code letters that look decidedly White to me, although Codes were generally Med Sea Grey or Sky at the time.
If anyone happens to know definitely what colour the code letters OK-1 were please let me know.
More soon .... that deadline looms!
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #2 by Grant
Go Wally go! I'm sure you can get his done. :cheer:

More
4 years 9 months ago #3 by Xtr3meNZer
Nice speed build! Good luck!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 9 months ago #4 by grover
Yes good luck with this Wally. I guess you will be building more than posting. Will keep an eye on it as I have this kit too.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
4 years 9 months ago #5 by Wally
Thanks guys. Anyone on here confident they know what colour OK-1 's code letters are?
I started assembling and then decided, since time is of the essence, I'll just keep assembling until the construction becomes almost too complex to paint. I was surprised how far I got, including defying the instructions and installing gun-bay detail at this early stage -

Airfix don't make cutting out the gun-bay doors easy though. They are not scored on the inside and quite thick -

Nearly all the cockpit tubing and lower wing sub-assemblies are Aluminium, which made poking a brush into some very confined spaces fairly practicable. I used various self-mixed hues of Ali in different places. It's wonderfully detailed for 1/48 scale the cockpit on this, as good as the best Hasegawa or Tamiya kits I've ever built. (I should say here too that almost every ejector pin mark I mentioned earlier is actually hidden away) -

I now have to fit belts and apply the IP decal and I'll be ready to assemble -

There is hope of making the finish line ...

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
4 years 9 months ago #6 by Xtr3meNZer
Very very nice! A lot of detail there! I think I might have to get this kit!!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 9 months ago #7 by Andrew
Looking good Wally :)

Nice detail for OOB :woohoo:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
4 years 9 months ago #8 by PJNZ
Wally you're a character - just 5 days before end of build you kick off! :)
Look forward to seeing your results - no doubt will be inspiring :)

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #9 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1 - P3854 OK-1 Keith Park
Looking great so far mate. Hope you have enough time to finish it. B)

More
4 years 9 months ago #10 by Maarten

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #11 by jimmy07
If there was anyone who could do it Wally, it would certainly be you! Looking very nice. That detail is great!

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
4 years 9 months ago #12 by Kiwimav
I found this Wally

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Attachments:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
4 years 9 months ago #13 by Wally
Dave mate, thanks so much. Is this a wartime colour photo do you think?
Seems to confirm that some Codes were white anyhow.
Can anyone read the black serial number?
Possibly also lends credence to the idea there might have been two aircraft coded OK-1, because the B&W photo with Keith Park standing behind the wing on the starboard side has both the 'K' and the '1' forward of the roundel.

I enjoy doing research

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #14 by Grant
I remember reading somewhere that the picture above is from the Battle of Britain film.

Yup, here: www.impdb.org/index.php?title=Battle_of_Britain

It's a Mk.II.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Grant.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #15 by Kiwimav
Possibly 2 aircraft kept for him to fly around in. One on ready at all times, the other in maintenance maybe, rotating out to keep the AVM in a "fresh" aircraft maybe?
Yeah, the codes look white to me too, as for the time period, I dunno, but the plane looks well used.
As for the black codes, a blur to me, sorry Wally!
Will be watchin this intently btw!

Dave

Take a look at this too, interesting!

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Kiwimav.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
4 years 9 months ago #16 by Wally
The fit of Airfix's Hurricane ranges from good to superb. Construction should finish and painting begin today -

Cutting it fine! Cheers, Wally

I enjoy doing research

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #17 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1 - P3854 OK-1 Keith Park
Nice progress mate and looking good.

I picked up a cheap 1/48 Airfix kit off Trademe a while back.
Must have been an older moulding as it had a ton of flash around the edges of the wings and fuselage.
So much so that after masking the canopy I gave up on it in disgust. :pinch:
If yourself or anyone else want it for spares.. or to finish drop me a pm. Free to a good home so long as postage is covered.
Includes decals for RAF and Romanian schemes. Kit # A04102

Edit: kit now gone to new home
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

More
4 years 9 months ago #18 by Xtr3meNZer
Nice progress Wally!! you can do it!!

More
4 years 9 months ago #19 by Nosferatu
Nuthin like a deadline ta get ya motivated huh Wally!! Looking good so far!!!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
4 years 9 months ago #20 by Wally
My new title is my new subject aircraft. Researching it took ages but it transpired my White Codes were both wrong shape and too large for OK-1 and my Grey Codes too small for all but a few RAF squadrons. My subject aircraft wasn't flown by a Kiwi but there is a Kiwi connection with 504 'County of Nottingham' Squadron which I'll report tomorrow.
This Airfix Hurricane is my new 1/48 favourite kitset. I love it and will be happy to build another one as Keith Park's OK-1 ... it'll just mean buying ... yes ... you guessed it ... even MORE code letter decals! (I thought I had them all and if anyone wants any please please please just ask! I have probably 20+ sheets of code letter/number decals)
As it is I have to create my own 'short' M's for TM - B by cutting & paste-ing Colorado Decals N's.
Here's the aircraft with painting and my pre-decal weathering complete, ready for gloss coat and decals -

The fairly heavy chipping is based on the artwork I found for this aircraft. I've tried to make a really distinct difference between metal and fabric areas, though I'm not sure it shows in these photos -

Another time consuming task was making my own canopy masks, which were unavailable for this Airfix kit when I bought it. The Italeri/Hasegawa ones I purchased proved quite different -

Plan is, decals on by 7pm-ish, dry overnight, glosscoat and final touches early as, then Dullcoat and final photos.
If anyone is really against me breaking the deadline by about 12hours I'm happy to disqualify myself.
Whatever happens this has been a most excellent GB. Thank you Grant.
Cheers
Wally

I enjoy doing research
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grant

More
4 years 9 months ago #21 by Grant
Top stuff Wally. I think you get the record for the quickest build. B)

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 9 months ago #22 by grover
Amazing finish Wally. Really hope the last bits go well for ya.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #23 by Wally
Thank you folks. Well, my original plan didn't allow for making dinner etc so I finished applying decals at about 11.30pm
My title change appears impermanent ...? Anyhow, I only had available 24" and 26" Grey RAF Codes and there proved to be only one or two squadrons that used smaller code letters. Only one of these had a Kiwi connection, 504 'County of Nottingham' Squadron. Unusually, they placed Squadron Codes after the roundel rather than before, but with only 2 port-side drawings available I had to guesstimate the positions on the starboard side. Thanks to asisbiz hurricanes site for their wonderful BoB Hurricane Squadrons chart.
So, here is P2725 TM-B of 504 'County of Nottingham' Squadron RAF

A mixture of kit decals, Colarado Codes (cutting Ns didn't work so the Ms are slightly incorrect) and Ventura 8" serials

504 Squadron rested and reformed at Wick after the Battle of France and defended Scapa Flow before being transfered to Hendon on 5 September 1940. On 7 Sept a late afternoon patrol was attacked out of the sun by 5 ME109s. No-one saw it go down but Hurricane L1615 crashed shortly afterwards at Sandbanks Farm, Graveney, near Faversham. Pilot Kenneth Victor Wendel, RNZAF, was severely burned and, fatally injured, died later that evening of his wounds. I was unable to find the Code Letters of L1615.
K. V. Wendel is buried at Faversham and remembered at Auckland War Memorial Museum.
On 15 Sept 1940 Flt Sergeant Raymond T. Holmes, flying P2725 TM-B, having exhausted his ammunition, deliberately rammed a Dornier DO17 intent on bombing Buckingham Palace. He cut the tail off the German bomber with his wing, causing it to crash near Victoria Station. "Ray" Holmes bailed out injured and P2725 crashed near the Palace. He was hailed a war hero by the press.
He is also credited with bringing down the first German aircraft over London but I am confused whether this was the same DO17 or another kill? Ray Holmes transfered to training Soviet pilots and fought as one of the "Murmansk Hurricanes", claiming another kill. He ended a colourful war career as a Flight Lieutenant. After the war, he was a King's Messenger, personally delivering mail to Winston Churchill, and later a journalist.
65 years later, the wreckage of Holmes' Hurricane was discovered and successfully excavated from the streets of London. The discovery was featured on the National Geographic Channel documentary, "The Search for the Lost Fighter Plane".
Ray Holmes died on 27 June 2005, aged 90, following a two-year battle with cancer.
Sources - Wikipedia and Cranston Art Prints

This is the first time I have worked off of a computer screen as my decal placement 'sheet'.
Finished photos after the big game. GO THE ALL BLACKS!!!
PS - ain't it just the way. Now I click a link at the bottom of Ray Holmes Wikipedia page and there is a painting of the Dornier ramming, with the Hurricane depicted starboard side ... and the codes TM-B .... darn!!! I guess maybe this is guesswork too but I should have known ... Squadron Codes first on one side at least. Damn!!!

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Wally. Reason: New information

More
4 years 9 months ago #24 by PJNZ
Fantastic Wally - great effort in such a short time frame :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #25 by Xtr3meNZer
You have really powered through to get it done! Good onay mate, looking good.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #26 by Kiwimav
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Wally the master, bloody beauty mate. what a great kit and build, gotta get me one or two now

Update In Stash:
Attachments:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
4 years 9 months ago #27 by Wally
Cheers! Yay the All Blacks! AWESOME BEYOND COMPARE!
And so much for sleep last night. Shortly after my last post about 1am I decided sleep was out of the question. I simply had to change the decals on the starboard side of the aircraft. It was worth it. Got about 1 - 2 hours catnap in the armchair before the game. My final five photos were taken more rapidly than I'd like, starting about 11.50am after Glosscoat, details, Dullcote and more details Here she is. I reckon this ought to be the most famous Hawker Hurricane ever. 15 September, the day Ray Holmes achieved his extraordinary feat of chopping the tail off a Dornier DO17 with his wing, has subsequently become 'Battle of Britain' Day and is considered a 'turning point' in the air war. I wonder why he didn't get a Victoria Cross?

I want to build Airfix all the time now ... and I hope they release lots of other 'improved' kits ... maybe they can surpass Hasegawa's P-40 family? (P-40s with complete fuselages!). I'm hanging out for my BP Defiant in February.
This is the future of injection molded kits I reckon. 'Aftermarket detail' all included and all injected. I kinda hope they start including belts and canopy masks as well ....
Gotta sleep
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #28 by Kiwimav
Yes, Im with you Wally, cant wait for the Defiant and P-40. From pre-production pics we saw a month or so ago, they look really good.

Dave

Update In Stash:

More
4 years 9 months ago #29 by jimmy07
She's a beauty, Wally! Still can't get over how fast you get these quality builds done!

More
4 years 9 months ago #30 by Bishop
Wally, that is so really rude word awesome its not funny. What a build!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Andrew