This group build is to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It will run from 10th of July to 31st of October, 2015, following the dates of the battle.

The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the Battle of Britain. While the Battle of Britain is foremost remembered as an air battle, builds including figures (e.g. famous historical figures from the battle), vehicles and armour (e.g. AA guns) and dioramas (e.g. airfield dioramas) are eligible provided a documented link can be established.

The model must be built entirely within the build dates to qualify, and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post your sprues at the beginning of the thread! By the end of the group build (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the group build forum which will be organised shortly.

To discourage cynical entries the build is open only to those who have been members of KiwiModeller for two months at the start of the group build and with at least thirty posts in the forums. So lurkers, get posting now if you want to enter! I will also vet for cynical or “gaming” entries and vote rigging.

No entry fee will be charged, but this is a good opportunity to make a donation to the upkeep of KiwiModeller.

The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Viperbuilder
  • Viperbuilder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 days ago #1 by Viperbuilder
BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1 was created by Viperbuilder
I'll start this build log with a look-over of the kit before getting into the build. Overall, Airfix has done a pretty good job with this kit and to date, it appears to be the best 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1 currently available.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 days ago #2 by Grant
Cool! Looking forward to the progress on this. :)

(Just as a note, that yellow nosed training aircraft looks like an interesting option in this kit.)

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
5 years 4 days ago #3 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
really looking forward to watching this build of probably one the most beautiful fighters ever to grace our skies

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
5 years 4 days ago #4 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
And the allies start showing up to the party! :) Awesome, love me a spitfire, very much looking forward to seeing this come together

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 days ago #5 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
While at the US IPMS Nationals in Columbus, Ohio I picked up the new Eduard Brassin bits for this kit. It was handy having Eduard at the show with its full range of goodies.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 days ago - 5 years 4 days ago #6 by Viperbuilder
The following pix show the Eduard parts and the Airfix parts for comparison. My preliminary thoughts are that you don't gain a lot with the Eduard interior. The Airfix interior is pretty well detailed. The Eduard wheels and exhaust stacks are a different story though. Wheels are better detailed and the exhaust pipes are hollowed.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 days ago by Viperbuilder. Reason: Dropped a word

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 4 days ago #7 by grover
Replied by grover on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
Awesome looking kit Steve. I take it you're back? Hope we see some of your trip

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 days ago #8 by Viperbuilder
Yes, I'm back. Foremost on my mind was to start a log for the Spitfire build as soon as I got back and unpacked. I'll get some pics from my trip up in the weekend once I've downloaded and sorted them.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

More
5 years 4 days ago #9 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
Oh nice additions! going to be an excellent looking spitty

• Viperbuilder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 4 days ago #10 by Viperbuilder
And thanks to fellow KM boarder Silver Arrow I'll be modelling this build as one of Alan Deere's aircraft, which had a bit of form to it. In R6981 Deere had a confirmed Bf-109E kill, two damaged claims and a probable on 15 August 1940 but suffered damage to his own aircraft in the process and he ended up having to bale out over Kent.

I’ve done a preliminary dry-fit of the kit and it appears to fit pretty well in most places. The fit of the engine cowl to the fuel tank cover is a bit gappy but I’ll be able to fix that with a plasticard shim to tidy it up.

I like the addition of wing spars to the kit because Spitfires had a wing dihedral of six degrees and on most Spitfire kits it is a challenge to achieve this without some slight modification. I’ve seen many Spitfire builds in my time that fall well short of the required dihedral. This kit appears as though it’ll get there without too much trouble. Airfix has also made provision on the kit's wing for three of the four gun covers on each side to be removed. A bit odd when you would really want all of the covers removed if modelling an ammo change.

The control surfaces have been done quite well are reasonably restrained. At least Airfix resisted giving them the shrink-wrapped look like some other manufacturers tend to do.

With the preliminarys over its now time to start sawing all the resin blocks of the Eduard parts so a bit of painting and assembly can commence.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
5 years 4 days ago #11 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
This will be good! :cheer:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
5 years 3 days ago #12 by PJNZ
Good one Steve. Heaps of extra goodies. Looking forward to watching it come together

More
5 years 3 days ago #13 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
This is not the Airfix I grew up with. Very impressive even out of the box. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 3 days ago #14 by grover
Replied by grover on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
I think I will be picking this and the Hurricane up when they are available in NZ land. Subscribed

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
5 years 3 days ago - 5 years 3 days ago #15 by Beavis
Replied by Beavis on topic BoB Group Build - Airfix 1-48 Spitfire Mk.1
Yeah Kane I've been checking out both the Airfix mk1 Hurricane and Spitfire online and heard nothing but good things. Also they have a really nice MkVb too.

Anyhow this is going to be an interesting build, especially with the extra bits and pieces. I'll be keeping a close eye on it's progress.
Last edit: 5 years 3 days ago by Beavis.

More
4 years 10 months ago #16 by RED
wow - this looks impressive - watching with interest

Moderators: Andrew