This group build is to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It will run from 10th of July to 31st of October, 2015, following the dates of the battle.

The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the Battle of Britain. While the Battle of Britain is foremost remembered as an air battle, builds including figures (e.g. famous historical figures from the battle), vehicles and armour (e.g. AA guns) and dioramas (e.g. airfield dioramas) are eligible provided a documented link can be established.

The model must be built entirely within the build dates to qualify, and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post your sprues at the beginning of the thread! By the end of the group build (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the group build forum which will be organised shortly.

To discourage cynical entries the build is open only to those who have been members of KiwiModeller for two months at the start of the group build and with at least thirty posts in the forums. So lurkers, get posting now if you want to enter! I will also vet for cynical or “gaming” entries and vote rigging.

No entry fee will be charged, but this is a good opportunity to make a donation to the upkeep of KiwiModeller.

The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

Detropicalized me109 Completed- 21/10/2015

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 10 months ago #31 by PJNZ
Looking good with the painting here.
Sometimes rolling the needle tip under fingernail against glass or very flat surface can get it workable again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gibbs
  • gibbs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #32 by gibbs
Replied by gibbs on topic Detropicalized me109 Completed- 21/10/2015
It's been a while since I have done any work on this which may be an issue as times running out I've finally got it on it;s feet so I'm hoping to start the weathering tomorrow

Photos to come tomorrow as the camera's on charge and need to figure out one or two things with my new photo editing system

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by gibbs.

More
4 years 9 months ago #33 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Detropicalized me109 Completed- 21/10/2015
Good to know you're still working on it :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #34 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Detropicalized me109 Completed- 21/10/2015

gibbs wrote: It's been a while since I have done any work on this which may be an issue as times running out I've finally got it on it;s feet so I'm hoping to start the weathering tomorrow

Photos to come tomorrow as the camera's on charge and need to figure out one or two things with my new photo editing system

Cool. Looking forward to the photos. B)

• gibbs
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #35 by gibbs
I've finally got it on it's feet

The decals are on and the weathering has started, overall I'm not very happy with how it's turned out as I had nothing but problems with the decals but it is what it is and it's done now so there's no going back now

If you guys can let me know what you think of the second picture as this if the first one I ran through my new editing program although I think changing the location may have also played apart in this so I think I will have to experiment more.

Also what finish are planes normally as due to the problems I've had with the decals I think varnishing this one may be a good idea I just don't know whether it would be a gloss or matte finish

File Attachment:
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #36 by Xtr3meNZer
2nd picture looks alright mate.

When using the pledge stuff it will give it a gloss finish, but that's ok, if you can spray a coating of the flat clear over top.
Will help seal it all in, but ultimately it's up to you man.

Almost at the finish line :) B)

More
4 years 9 months ago #37 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic Detropicalized me109 Completed- 21/10/2015
Coming along nicely mate. What editing software do you use? Maybe I should start using one, I've only used MS paint in the past.

Decals look good, what issues did you have with them?

More
4 years 9 months ago #38 by Grant

gibbs wrote: Also what finish are planes normally as due to the problems I've had with the decals I think varnishing this one may be a good idea I just don't know whether it would be a gloss or matte finish

Good progress. I'd go matt finish. :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #39 by PJNZ
I'd go matt finish too. I'd like to do another 109 sometime in a yellow nose scheme

• gibbs
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #40 by gibbs

jimmy07 wrote: Coming along nicely mate. What editing software do you use? Maybe I should start using one, I've only used MS paint in the past.

Decals look good, what issues did you have with them?

The decals seemed to disintegrate as I tried to put them on resulting in me having to piece them together with limiting degrees of success, note the number 1 on the side of the aircraft in picture 2.

In respect to photo editing programs I've used a few like you I started of with paint, I then moved over to paint.net then GIMP and finally Adobe Lightroom CS6 which is what I used with this one I've also got the CS6 version of Photoshop (PS) to play with at somepoint, but that'll have to wait until I've figured out more of Lightroom as it took me 20 minutes to work out how to export an image once I've tweaked it :blush:

Out of all of the ones I've mentioned all of them bar the adobe software are free and I'd recommend GIMP it's a bit of a learning curve from paint but there is a reason why it is known as the poor mans Photoshop as if you've got the time to learn how to use it you can do some great work with it and there are some great tutorials on youtube which is how I picked it up.

Now GIMP is very good and according to some people better than PS in some ways once you've figured it out but since I've not played with PS I won't comment although I will say when I used GIMP it was generally a quick process once I knew what I was doing and didn't seem to make much longer than paint and I didn't have any issues with the program as long as I stuck with release versions opposed to betas, however the team where quick at dealing with bugs when they found them.

The reason I went over to lightroom was it has made the first part of the process smoother but that could just be because my workflow in regards to pictures which I won't go into here unless people are interested as it'll be fairly long winded by comparison to the rest of the thread

File Attachment:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimmy07

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 9 months ago #41 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Detropicalized me109 Completed- 21/10/2015

jimmy07 wrote: Coming along nicely mate. What editing software do you use? Maybe I should start using one, I've only used MS paint in the past.

If you're just looking at resizing, altering colours, cropping etc, you can't go past Irfanview for the easiest to use and most powerful tool. If you want to create images with layers, paint.net is a terrific free alternative to Photoshop. Gimp is cool, but I found the learning curve quite high as is a lot of programmes made purely by techies for their own satisfaction, although there is a brance called Gimpshop which has copied Photoshop's UI. The king really is photoshop though. I use Irfanview and photoshop daily.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimmy07

• gibbs
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 9 months ago #42 by gibbs

grover wrote:

If you're just looking at resizing, altering colours, cropping etc, you can't go past Irfanview for the easiest to use and most powerful tool. If you want to create images with layers, paint.net is a terrific free alternative to Photoshop. Gimp is cool, but I found the learning curve quite high as is a lot of programmes made purely by techies for their own satisfaction, although there is a brance called Gimpshop which has copied Photoshop's UI. The king really is photoshop though. I use Irfanview and photoshop daily.

Gimpshop is a good idea but the installer is now riddled with adware so it really isn't worth the hassle if you want the power of Gimp you may as well go for it and just take the learning curve that comes with it considering how many tutorials there are around to do basic edits

I've used irfanview before when I created an image processing program I used it to validate that the pgm conversions worked and while it's a powerful program I just never really got on with it

if anyones interested in giving photoshop/lightroom ago adobe offer a 60 day trial

File Attachment:

More
4 years 9 months ago #43 by Gary
Or do what I do and pay $14 a month to get full legal Photoshop CC my daughter uses it for school work when I'm not using it so it gets used.
I also use Microsoft Office 365 again it's only about $15 a month, it gives us 5 full installs of Office 2016 and 1TB each of online storage, it's also future proof, the upgrade from 2013 to 2016 was free.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 9 months ago #44 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Detropicalized me109 Completed- 21/10/2015
Or get sponsored by Adobe like me :D

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• gibbs
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 9 months ago #45 by gibbs

grover wrote: Or get sponsored by Adobe like me :D

I got mine through my previous job so while I had to pay for it I got it at a substantially reduced price

File Attachment:

• gibbs
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 9 months ago #46 by gibbs
I finished the weathering today and while it may not be my best work and if I'm honest there are quite a few things I would do differently if I built this again I am happy enough with it to call it done

File Attachment:
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #47 by Xtr3meNZer
Good on you for getting it over the finish line :) I think we are all a bit that way, could do something a little different next time you build one etc...

Another Axis aircraft done :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #48 by Grant
Good stuff. B) Thanks for taking part gibbs. :)

Moderators: Andrew