The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
3 months 1 week ago #601 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
A few items now done. The scissor binoculars are done. The really have the wrong bases, but you won’t see that anyway. The work on the rear hatch of the production turret is also done and the hatches for both Tigers progress. This includes the protective shields for each and the hinge mechanisms.

Binoculars

New locking bars for the hatch locks for each turret rear hatch

Hatch shields and new hinges
Production

Preproduction

How they fit

Production turret
Rubber seal

And inner notches for the locking bars

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #602 by Bishop
More work on both rear turret hatches with the plug chains attached. I’ve also done some more work on the JagdTiger roof.

Preproduction

Production

JagdTiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #603 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Cool to see your binoculars, I've been trying to 3d print the somewhat similiar field binocs (bit of a stretch in 1/35 tho!) as part of my experiments in 3d printing model parts. I think a really good result would be fairly easy in 1/16 though which is interesting.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 months 6 days ago by shaunfletcher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
3 months 6 days ago #604 by Bishop
I have finally chosen the production Tiger I’m going for, 204 from ss 501st kampfgruppe Peiper. I really wanted to do an ambush example somewhere along the line and this is s good hard edged camouflage. The only adjustment to be made is to the mantlet. It is a smooth cast rather than notched example. The kit has a rather nice notched example so out with the dremel and the P38 filler and hey presto. The prominent cast number on these has come from the sprues of the French tank, the F 17.

The rear hatches are both almost done, just needing the pull cable and both turrets now need all the extra internals not included in the kit. I also need to make the ammunition racks. Thankfully the turret racks are okay and provided for both turrets so no scratch work to do. Then it’s paint time. I confess that I can’t wait to close all three hulls and two turrets up. I want to get on with the exteriors. So it’s 204, Anneleise and Z3.

Photos

Kit mantlet

Now smooth cast

Rear details adjusted

Production front on

Preproduction rear on

And the roof will fit with some cleaning up.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 months 5 days ago #605 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Beautiful work as always :whistle:

More
3 months 2 days ago #606 by Bishop
I’m now up to any interior welds to be done in the Tiger turrets that will be visible, and then it’s paint time. I’ve decided just get on and finish the turret interiors as I’ve done in the JagdTiger, and then shut the turrets up. I’ll then go back and sort the hulls. There is a lot of finishing to do in all areas so I need to knuckle down and get them done. It really is time to head outside and start making these three look like Tigers. The turret interior welding is really only on the hatches. Lots of exterior welding to do on all three.

All the wiring is done. The hatch counter balances work with the loader hatches, the pull cables are on the loader hatches and rear turret hatches and I’ve even start work on the two muzzle breaks. Just lapping this all up at the moment so will push on.

These will become loader hatch locks.

Muzzles.

The larger early muzzle

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
3 months 2 days ago #607 by Bishop
Photos of the preproduction turret interior

Loader’s hatch

Note the wiring

The rear hatch pull cable

Beauty shots

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 months 2 days ago #608 by Bishop
Production turret photos

The rear hatch with pull cable

Hangers on the exterior

And a shot of the finished wiring for the JagdTiger roof.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
3 months 1 day ago #609 by Bishop
Tiger family noses under black and red oxide. The turret interiors are also now under paint ready for ivory. I’ve also added the bits to the JagdTiger gun sight to make it presentable. It will be attached to the roof so it is always in the right position and will not accidentally break the gun mount when the roof comes off.

Photos

Noses and the gun sight

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
3 months 1 day ago #610 by Bishop
Red oxide interiors

Preproduction

Production

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #611 by Bishop
I bit the bullet and have been spraying ivory everywhere. Happy with the coats, three thin coats on all, and so am finally ready to paint the details in the turrets and hulls, add the extra items like gas’s mask canisters and fun sights and radios to everything, add the decals, weather everything and close these barstools up. I reckon I should have them closed by Christmas.

I’ve also started on the rear hull plates as these will need to be in place to close the hulls.

Photos

Preproduction

Production

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #612 by Bishop
JagdTiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #613 by Bishop
Transmission cover crew hatch plates

Turret ammunition racks

Armour exhaust covers with cast numbers awaiting texture

Rear hull plates with exhausts. The preproduction Tiger will have mounted jack and block. The production Tiger will only have the jack block mount as jacks were discontinued so no mounts, and the JagdTiger is late enough to have neither.

Tiger upper hulls painted

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #614 by Bishop
The hull rears are almost done. The HL one is indeed up to dark yellow and will be the first section of the three tanks to get a top coat. I’ll simply mask it off when it comes to the rest of the hull. The distinction between black and red oxide is so that the zimmerit gets no red on it. The black will help with shading, but any red oxide makes it look like the zimmerit is made of metal. It actually goes over the red oxide during the production process not the other way round. Now all I have to do is mask the exhaustion pipes and dark yellow can go over the lot. I’ll do this all over the HL. The other two rears will get to the red oxide stage and then wait for the paint of the rest of the hull/ JagdTiger body.

The spent shell catchers are not in both turrets, just the recoil cylinders to go.

Photos

HL

Scratched travel light

Enhanced HL jack with holders from the spare JagdTiger parts. The jack block is the HL part also enhanced

The other rears

Spent MG shell catchers top and bottom

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #615 by Bishop
Quick update. The shell racks are in and ready for more weathering along with the rest of the turret interiors. The main guns are also now pinned in place. The production turret will need extra reinforcement to carry the weight of the metal barrel. More details have been painted within each turret and surfaces prepared for decals. It’s a slow process, but fun. Little will be visible so I’m no going super fine detail, but enough will be so that the work isn’t wasted.

Photos

Firstly finished bottoms

Preproduction

Production

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #616 by Bishop
Turret interiors with shell racks in. If I was to have removable roofs I would need to add the straps to hold the preproduction shells in place and the straps used to hold the outer production shells in place. You can’t see them so magic will do in this case. I still need to add the crew gas masks and the MG tool boxes to each. I actually need to find out where they were mounted. The JagdTiger ones are already in.

The driver periscopes are almost painted. Here is the HL one just sitting in place.

Production

Preproduction

Note the pin now attaching the gun to the elevation arm. This holds both guns nicely, but I’ll also glue the pivot points up too.

Driver periscope

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #617 by shaunfletcher
I swear that thing will start spontaneously firing one day

More
2 months 1 week ago #618 by Bishop
I have reached the point where I’m ready to close the turrets down. There is enough weathering and detail to see through the hatches and it will be nice to protect it all under the hull bodies. I’m now starting the JagdTiger details which will need to be much more detailed because of the removable roof. Really enjoying these at the moment.

Preproduction

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 1 week ago #619 by Bishop
Production

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 1 week ago #620 by Bishop
And the first JagdTiger steps. Shells in and rubber seals on the rear doors.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #621 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Chipping in this scale looks GOOD

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Maarten.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #622 by Bishop
It was the best of days, it was the worst of days. The turrets are closed down, the fit being okay with some strips of plastic and filling to hide the lips around the bottom. The production turret is the better fit of the two. So what was bad. The production turret was nicely glued together and then I dropped it. The turret basket collapsed and various bits broke off. So the top was wrenched off and everything fixed. The mess inside is invisible to the world and the clean up won’t be difficult, it’s just the sort of thing that makes you want to give up after all the months of work. Anyway all good now and it really is just a first world problem.

Production

But looks good now

Preproduction

The pair, neither of whom will be dropped ever.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Bishop.

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 1 week ago #623 by shaunfletcher
I think we are all feeling THAT story!

Looking superb though :)

More
2 months 1 week ago #624 by Bishop
Heading back into the hulls now. The upper JagdTiger hull items are all painted so it’s time to tackle the most difficult part of each build, trying to fit the jolly ammunition racks. I feel sick already!!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 1 week ago #625 by Bishop
Back into the hulls with lots of work to do. Working on the JagdTiger mostly to catch up with the turrets. The adjusted projectile holder no longer fits in its original form so the details have to be sawn off and attached directly to the wall. It will take a bit of lining up, but no drama. The gun cradle mount is now in so space is appearing in front of me as completed parts are installed. Next up will be the shell racks and other items.

Photos

The adjusted projectile holder

In the left hand line up

The jerrycan with scratched cap. The original part has gone to God I think.

The painted interior waiting for weathering

The gun mount in

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 1 week ago #626 by Bishop
The Tigers have had the middle way braces added in preparation for the shell racks. The need to be painted ivory yet, but I won’t do that until I’ve made sure the hull roof fits over them first. The Trumpeter set will be fine. I expect to be trimming the tops off the scratched HL set however. All of the braces and bulkheads need welds added before the racks are set in place so lots to do.

The turret race has now been bolted onto the Trumpeter Tiger so the production turret has something to rest on.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 1 week ago #627 by Bishop
I have been pushing on with the JagdTiger crew area installing the ammunition racks, projectile holder and jerrycan holder and once the radio power units are in place I’ll then finally return to the three lower hulls and finish everything. I’ll do the dreaded Tiger ammunition racks first and get the hell out of the way. The JagdTiger ones were easy. I’ve repeatedly fitted the JagdTiger upper body in place to line up the projectile holder securing ring arms so I know that the jolly thing fits together. The Tigers May be another story.
So much weathering to do.

The projectile ring holder arm thingies. Heavily modified from the kit parts.

The radio power sources are not the ones I planned to use. I’ve used the scratched ones from the Panther turret command tank configuration and doctored up a spare one that came with the separate engine sprues. The Trumpeter Panther kit ones are garbage so I’ve plenty to cut and paste with. I’ll use the ones that were originally to go in the JagdTiger (AFV Modeler ones), in the Panther turret and in hull. These are only just visible in the JagdTiger so all good.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 months 6 days ago #628 by Bishop
Some quick rattle can moments outside this morning. All the guns, mantlets and some JagdTiger parts are now under base coat. The JagdTiger barrel will have camouflage straight over the top as Sam Dwyer did with his X2 JagdTiger (I love the rougher end of war camos),
and the rest standard. I’m really pleased that the Trumpeter Tiger barrel is in separate parts as it will allow for an easy run at the wave pattern camouflage “off the tank”.

The jerrycan and radio power units will go in sometime today then it’s hulls finishing time.

Barrels, here preproduction and rear section of production

Production

JagdTiger

Mantlets

JagdTiger parts

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 5 days ago #629 by Bishop
A huge afternoon. The ball mount MGs are under a base coat of bright gun metal ready for the details and shading etc. various items have been painted, the horrid shell racks are in and fit under the hull roofs (no close ups they are so disgusting), and the two Tiger crew floors are in and the turrets fit into them. The last bit about the crew floors held my greatest fears. If the turrets wouldn’t fit in the adventure would be over.

I now need to paint and add the final detonation charge to each Tiger, forward of the forward bulkhead, paint the first aid boxes for each Tiger, add decals, attach the main power cable to the forward bulkhead for the radios and then weather the three. I hope to be finally able to move to the exteriors by the end of October, if not before. Can’t wait actually and neither can the Panther waiting in the corner.

Photos

JagdTiger, note the stowage shelf not installed beside the driver. The red oxide needs a second coat.

Preproduction

Production

MGs

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 months 4 days ago #630 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary