The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
10 months 1 week ago #511 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
So today I wanted to do so much that I drew up a list and actually managed some things. I didn’t get the turret floors completed as I still have som prepainting wiring to add, but I’m close. The bins for catcyspent shells have had the missing wall added using the turret teeth protective shields to form the correct shape. No these don’t attach to the rear wall. I’ve also made four head set boxes missing from both kits. I still need to make two intercom boxes for the respective gunners. I’ve used the kit shell roller for the production turret as it will serve in the dark, but I’ve adjusted a couple of things and will add the chain for the handle. I’ve also made a second MG ammo bag holder for the second turret. The none glued items have received the first black and red oxide. These will be painted ivory when the floors are done before the baskets are added. I’ve also finally created a high tech cradle for the two Tiger turrets for when the baskets are added. One thing I really need to add to the production turret is the flare shell holders. That’s tomorrow.

Photos

High tech cradle

MG shell catchers

Headphone boxes for both turrets

MG bag holders

Painted parts

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #512 by Bishop
Over the last two days I’ve completed all I’m going to do one the Tiger turret floors and have put them under red oxide. I need to clean up a silly botch in the production turret floor, but otherwise they are ready for ivory.

I’ve also decided that the preproduction Tiger will be “Anneleise” one of the few that made it under winter white wash. This has meant removing the dodgy fenders and filling the missing part of the side wall on each side. Roughly 9mm is missing behind the fenders as per the final production Tiger ii I did a couple of years ago now. It seems that I’m never to do a Tiger with fenders on.

I thought I’d managed to save the zimmerit on the hull sides above the fenders, but the more I tried to blend things the worse it all got. So, out with the sanding block and hefty paper and on with new sides ready for zimmerit. I’ve discovered that the plastic behaves much better under a coat of paint when it comes to melting the pattern into it. No strings and melting straight through the whole wall.

Photos

Firstly the extra wall sections. These required the removal of the same thickness along the sides of the lower hull so that the upper hull would close over it.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 months 1 week ago #513 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
So cool that people can be so kind like that (and people here too :) )

More
10 months 1 week ago #514 by Bishop
The preproduction turret floor now fits the hull roof very easily thanks to the dremel and some sandpaper. The pretend turret ring has been created with the toothed ring of a giant bubble blower. Does the job and saves making tons of teeth.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
10 months 1 week ago #515 by Bishop
Under paint. New sides and the beginning of the zimmerit

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
10 months 1 week ago #516 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
10 months 6 days ago #517 by Bishop
The preproduction turret basket is now in place and the gun test fitted. This is always an interesting moment and thankfully everything fits bare the connector between the elevation unit and the gun. The connector needs it’s ends rounded (on both baskets), so that it will fit with the gun. This is a two second job so I’m very pleased. When I say “two seconds”, I am, of course, hugely stressed about not stuffing each connector up, so will try to be as careful as possible, but that said it will be a two second job.

The other thing being done is the final preparation of the HL upper hull ready for the upcoming work on all three Tigers on the inside of the upper hulls. I was not at all happy with the holes left after my attempts to remove the forward hatches so I’ve cut out the whole plate and fashioned a new one, along with the inside hull roof attachment frame. All very rough at the moment, but a big relief to have it done. The frame is rather clever as it bolts to the interior roof with one set of bolts and the removable transmission access/ removal plate, with the hatches and ventilation unit included, then bolts to the frame. Making this removable as with the Trumpeter Tigers means you can see a great detail of the interior when the turret and this hatch are removed.

Photos

The connector needing grinding

Hatch work. Note that Annaliese, at this point I am depicting, has all the genders removed excluding the forward ones.

Thankfully all the zimmerit has been sorted again. So glad I went back and fixed the lot. No seams to keep having to fill in as I did with the earlier Tiger makeover.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
10 months 6 days ago #518 by grover
Replied by grover on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Love that internal detail mate

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

More
10 months 6 days ago #519 by Bishop
The turret basket is now in the production turret and the gun test fitted. I’ll finish the gun sights and add them and let things settle. I’ll then paint the details and leave the turrets for awhile while I return to the hull interior and add the missing parts. The list is long, but straight forward.

Added the seats.
Finish and add the jolly shell racks. No problems in the JagdTiger thankfully.
Add the gas mask canasters when they arrive
Add demolition charges and holders to the forward bulkheads
Add MG ammunition bags and their racks
Make missing boxes for various items like first aid kits
Glue in the two Tiger crew floors
Paint various details and apply decals
Touch up the paint work.

Firstly I’ll man up and finish the ammo and the racks.

Then it’s time for the hull roofs. This will be the time for the radios forward MGs, more demolition charges and wiring. In the JagdTiger it will also involve crew communication devices etc.

Finally I’ll do the turret roof interior details and weather the three interiors. Finally then I’ll be able to close them up and start on the outsides.

Photos

The Pak 43 is a huge gun

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
10 months 6 days ago #520 by Maarten
That's an Excellent looking cannon !

Attachments:

More
9 months 3 days ago #521 by Bishop
It’s been a bit since I’ve posted as I’d reached the point where I was a little overwhelmed with all the stuff I was doing with these builds. So I stopped the Panzers and made a scabbard for my newly arrived United Cutlery, Aragorn’s thingy ; ) That was fun and something different, but it’s time to get on with it. During the quiet period I’ve been doing JagdTiger shell racks and prepping the Tiger ii racks. Boring as bat poo to be honest, which is part of the minor burnout. Anyway, they’re all made and part painted so that’s a big step forward.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
9 months 3 days ago #522 by Bishop
Tiger racks x 2

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
9 months 3 days ago #523 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
What's an Aragorn thingy? Do you have a Narsil?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
9 months 3 days ago #524 by Bishop
No the later version lol. Glorious to have finally got hold of one. Never thought I would.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
9 months 3 days ago #525 by Bishop
Test, as this not turning up in recent topics

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #526 by Bishop
I cannot believe how depressing one part of a build can be. It has totally thrown my mojo. These stupid ammo racks are so [email protected]&$y annoying and they aren’t even turning out as the should. Even the kit ones from the JagdTiger have been a pain. I’m a fair way through them all so that’s something, but oh boy...

Winge over!!! Photos when I have something to show. The stand alone engine build is slowly progressing too so that’s good.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #527 by Bishop
Finally an update

The horrid Tiger shell racks are together, but I’m ashamed of how bad they are. Thankfully only the front of each will ever be seen. I’ve got them together and will now ignore them, moving on instead to the upper hull roof detail. This doesn’t involve too much on the Tigers, but much of the interior of the JagdTiger. The JagdTiger ammo racks have come together much more easily and just need paint touch ups. Finally some stuff to look forward too. First up three hull MGs.

JagdTiger

Yuck

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #528 by Henry
Replied by Henry on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Hi Bishop
I was looking at getting the MMP Elfenbein and maybe the red oxide primer I'm just witch one to get because they have three shade of it they are RAL3009,RAL8012,RAL8017 I currently have the AK interactive red primer I was also thinking of getting the sandgrey ver 2 to use on my AFV Club Shot Kal gimel (kit number AF35282) when I get it built.

Thanks Henry

More
7 months 6 days ago #529 by Bishop
A quick update. I’m just starting to get regular moments at the bench again and am enjoying the MG mounts. The Panther parts have been a great help, though it too will need a few tweaks along the way. The first photo shows the four balls in various stages of construction and adjustment. I’ve made up a completely new ball for the HL Tiger so I can fit everything properly. The old one had the hole for the MG directly in the middle. The two Trumpeter Tiger ball mounts come in two halves and need the holes reworked, hence the tubing you can see at present. Lots of sanding to do.

The MG mounts now have corrected sights. The HL one is scratched obviously. They need details added and have a long way to go yet. The mounting rods have missing triggers added, but the wire on the scratched HL one needs redoing. The triggers also need to be bent into shape.

The cushion pads for the sights will be made up from the length of glued and partially shaped white plastic. The Panther part sits on the top. The Tigers didn’t come with these pads some I’m making three.

On another note I’m really pleased to have picked up a DML Marder II. This is one I’ve always wanted, but I will not start it.... yet.

Ball mounts

Mount arms

Mounts with sights attached and underway

Head cushions in the making

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
7 months 6 days ago #530 by Bishop
The Marder. Not a smart kit, but the original before it was turned into one so lots of gear. So tempting, but not just yet.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 months 6 days ago #531 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
This MGs looking sweet.

My recent Dragon Marder has been one of my favourite builds for a long time. Some tricksy bits of fit but loved it and the result.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #532 by Bishop
The MGs are slowly coming together. The brackets for the ammunition pouches are half done.

The Panther example

Two Tiger examples

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Bishop.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #533 by Bishop
MGs now almost done. Lots of little details to add and more deflection stuff around the link catcher that feeds into the second ammunition bag.

The four

Panther and scratched HL Tiger

A shot looking at the sight eye piece of one of the Trumpeter guns

The other Trumpeter gun

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #534 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
It's so big you could almost use ping pong balls lol

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #535 by Bishop
Or Guinness widgets

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #536 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
I really enjoy looking at your builds as I'm always learning something new about the workings of German tanks. You must have have plenty of reference images going by all the modifications being added. Top stuff.

On the bench:
Revell 1-72 Hunter FGA.9

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #537 by Bishop
The MGs are now finished apart from painting, and I’m working on upgrading the interior mounts. The Trumpeter detail is an approximation as you can hardly see it, can easily be improved even without a rebuild. I have to create the plate for the HL so am making a third wall and mount along the way. These hollow wall inserts enable you to have 100mm of frontal armour at a third of the plastic. These hulls must have been so unwieldy to glue together.

MGs, one including the assisting spring that allowed the gun to actually move the MG.

The false front crew walls.

Trumpeter and HL

I’ve created the shape of the curved area the ball sits in with plastic tube. It curves from the back through to the front forming there part of the cover that holds the ball mount in.

HL back

Through to the front

The shape of the tubing has left a gap either side of the mount that will be filled with more tubing. It will make sense when you see it finished.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #538 by Maarten
excellent scratch model building

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #539 by Bishop
Many thanks. Even fits in the HL too. The hole is now drilled to fit the scratched MG and sits nicely is the ball mount armoured cover. So nice to be enjoying some modelling again.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Bishop.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #540 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Every time I look at this topic my mind boggles at the shear breadth and depth of work going on. You're a dedicated man Tony! The Pak 43 barrel is very bling, but necessary I imagine? It's so long it would probably deflect or sag if it were plastic?!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary