More painting and various decals on. These were originally painted on by David Parker. I have no idea how he did it. The decals look great, but release from the paper very quickly, something to watch out for or you have floating decals.
A short update. The traverse motors and gearboxes are installed. This allows for various other things such as the gun triggers to be wired up to the junction boxes. I’m using very thin copper wire inserted into solder for this. I removed the solder I had installed and replaced it with the copper. I similar thing will happen with the main power cable from the junction box to the turret.
Different angles of both baskets
Copper replacement wires
One of the holes drilled in the solder ready for both wires. Just fits
The triggers are now wired up and the cog covers added to the traverse gears. These took a lot of adjustment and are still not yet perfect CA glue will sort that. The main cable to the junction box from the batteries is now fully painted on each basket and the front basket hangers have been properly shaped to allow them to fit over/ beside the rear inspection point on the traverse gear box. Not sure what Trumpeter was thinking here and wondered why David Parker had cut out this section of the foward hanger. It don’t fit otherwise lovey, simple as that!!
Cabling and cog covers.
The completed batteries to turret cabling in silver. It stands out against the red oxide, but not the ivory.
Front hanger, note the cut out section to fit the square inspection plate
Items now starting to be added . Front and rear supports are now in place. The small motor is also attached to the traverse motor. Other items like the MG spares boxes will go in next. Spent shell tins also. Just sitting there in these shots. The next thing will be the gunners’ seats and the connecting shafts for the traverse wheels. Getting very close to having this done so it is probably time to prepare for lots of shells and the dreaded hull shell racks. The JagdTiger ones are fine, but the Tiger ones are way off. I have a corrected set from AFV Modeller. As usual these resin ones are out of shape, but not twisted so, so that will mean that the shells will make them sit right. This would be the worst part of the build so I may as well get it over with.
A couple of things left to do, but otherwise these are both up to hull interior stage. I’m going to leave them for now with the two missing items (counter balance and MG shell tin), to be added when they are mates to the turret floor.
The next thing on the agenda is by far the worst because the most complicated. Thankfully, as I reported in an earlier post, the Trumpeter Tiger came not just with the two turrets, but with basically everything to make their interiors with. This includes the turret shell racks.
BUT, the hull shell racks are, to be honest, a disaster. Not just wrong, but wrong enough to fowl the turret if installed as is. Thankfully David Parker made copies of his corrected ones that can can buy from AFV Modeler. That still leaves one set to modify, but at least you have stuff to go by, well you would have if the HL Tiger hull upper dimensions fitted under the HL hull roof. They don’t do the adjustments will also have to take the reduced height along with the other corrections to be made. It’ll be fine, but will be boring and frustrating. The other problem is that each Tiger needs 70 shells and I have 72, so one Tiger will only have two shells.
Well, actually I’ll need to be creative about divvying them up. Here, as they say, goes nothing.
The Panther kit is a bit of relief from the boredom of shells, but they are progressing. As I said in the Panther tread the shells are part of a larger cleanup regime. Ten of each shell at a time. Three more sittings should see them done. Then the all need to be polished before spraying. Groan. I’ve always rushed these in the past, but you really can’t in this scale.
Shells cleaned up. Now going through a second time to catch any holes to be filled and fine sand in preparation for painting. I also need to add the ends too. Lots of gluing of PE and plastic shell ends coming up in my future. These are little models in themselves. The casings have to be painted, the projectiles also need painting and then decals added. Groan!!
This is the nightmare of the Tiger ii build. Trumpeter’s ammo racks are just way oversized. Sadly AFV Modeler is out of replacements so I’m stuck. I can’t fudge by using the kit parts in one of the builds as the turret won’t turn as the racks are so wide. Wish I’d bought as second set now. I think what I’ll have to do is cut up each rack into parts, reshape and rejoin them. That way I’ll at
Least get the right rack width. I’ll have to shade down the wooden chocks too.
Not too fiddly thankfully. It will be slow going, but thankfully I only have to make the projectile end of the racks. Turns out that the Heng Long hull sponsons are wider than on the Trumpeter so I can use cut down kit parts for the shell end of the racks. I can cut the wooden chocks off the projectile end racks and copy the replacement parts. This will curve the shells in towards the middle of the crew area so that the wrap around the turret basket. It will make sense when finally done. More boredom, but it will be worth it.
Lots of finished shells now waiting for paint. Incredibly, Trumpeter didn’t provide enough ends for the shells so these five have fake ends. This is okay as they will be able to act as inner shells on the racks with ends hidden. Still incredible. Just need the racks now.
Finally the parkerised shells done with projectiles to be sorted and a bunch of shells waiting for brass to be sprayed. Then some will have decals. Sadly Trumpeter didn’t supply enough for each shell. Most will be invisible anyway.