The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
1 year 2 months ago #421 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #422 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
It’s Batman! So, I’ve now installed the radiator pipes in the engine bays and cleaned partially sorted the joins from the headers.

I’ve also started the ammunition/ crew floor in the JagdTiger. Only the projectiles can be seen so I may save the shells. These will be hidden under more replacement flooring as the pattern on the kit pieces is too small and lack handles etc. I’ll give the floor the once over with red oxide and install it. As it is moveable under the gun cradle I’ll be able to weather things as necessary. As the various components go in you begin to see how, apart from dust, very little would have been damaged or worn before these later vehicles were knocked out. The early HL Tiger will have done heavier weathering, but again not too much.

Photos

Tiger

JagdTiger, note the filler where the mounting tube is now part of the header. This needs to be cleaned up and the join on both headers painted.

JagdTiger floor begun

When painted it will slide in under the mounts for the cradle.... just!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #423 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Superb work Bishop!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
1 year 2 months ago #424 by Bishop
Flooring being painted.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #425 by Bishop
More big moments today. The power units for the compasses have been wired in. They need more work, but are in place. This means that the two Tigers have their forward bulkheads in place too. The projectiles for the JagdTiger are done as is the storage floor. This covers a whole lot of stuff I now don’t need to weather. It slides as the photos show so there is still plenty to see underneath. The base if the gun cradle has progressed too. I won’t glue this in place until I’m actually ready to put the gun in position. I need to weather everything below first.

Next up it’s finally time to start what really are the main events, two 88s and a 120. Guns guns guns!!! The turrets are pretty good as is the 120 so there will be a lot of straight forward building with advancements rather masses of scratch work. I’ll do the Tigers first so that I can adjust and fit the crew floors then move into the turret details. There is of course an enormous amount to do in the hulls still ( MGs and shell racks all round), but it will be nice to have a bit of a break from the hulls.

Photos

JagdTiger floor details first

Tray forward showing the forward projectiles. There are two rows of these in the floor, the ones in the cradle base covering the forward row, the four floor covers covering the rear row

Without the gun cradle base

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #426 by Bishop
Next up the Tigers

The compass power units plugged in. I haven’t shown the JagdTiger one.

Trumpeter

HL

The two bulkheads

And a shot of the JagdTiger cradle base with more details added including the forward ball mount. The cradle pivots on this tow ball.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #427 by Bishop
Hydraulic turret motors in need of lots of cleaning up, but done and the turret floor. I remember making all this for the HL late Tiger ii and am glad I can just glue it all together. The major problem will be the surface on the turret floor. Three sections are meant to have a dot pattern and are just smooth. There are various solutions all involving money so I’m going to have to be creative. I used plastic plate treat in the HL turret. I shall see.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #428 by Bishop
I’ve been working on the turret basket floor and added the missing treat plate texture and cut the two opening floor sections out and added their lifting handles along the way. You really need to do this as Trumpeter molded the whole thing as one. There is now lots of cleaning up and adding of items to do, but it’s nice to be out of the hull for a bit so I don’t mind.

The tread plate is definitely the cheap option being plastic plate, but it works well under paint, the dots being further apart that they appear as raw shiny plastic. They could be slightly further apart, but will do. Cheaper than the Aber option and much easier to source too. The hatches would normally open to expose the batteries and open stowage box, but they will be glued shut. Separating them does allow the proper hinges to be modeled. I’ve also added more parts to the turret traverse unit.

Photos

Floor sections

The rest of the floor

A test piece painted. Completely changes the look.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago #429 by Bishop
So much for no scratch work. The floors are now reinstalled and just need hinges added. The brackets are also back for the MG tool box and the spent mg shell container. I’ve attached the brackets to the bottom of each shell container rather than try and line them up otherwise. I need to make the MG tool boxes as, as with the other ammo/ tool/ first aid boxes none are provided. Easy to do so no worries. I’ve also replaced the pump covers that sit behind the gunner and acts as a commander foot rest as the kit parts are very thick ( with the old thinned edge trick going on), and which only get thicker with the added tread plate.

Photos

Floors

Pump covers with the kit part in the middle.

Tool box brackets and the spent shell container in place

How to cheat to get the correct bracket position.

I kept the lugs on the bottom of the containers in place for easy positioning.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #430 by Bishop
And now a shot of the foot rest/ cover and some hinges in place. From here I should be able to mock up enough of the turret floor and basket to test fit with the hull crew floor. Then I can glue the crew floor into each Tiger and continue the hull detailing. I’m starting to enjoy the turret basket work so I’ll do that and then return to the hull roof and turret roof further down the line.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #431 by Bishop
Test fitting the turret floors reveals that I need to take a millimeter off some of the inner circle edges of the hull floor plates, but otherwise they all sit nicely where they should. Now I can go on with the turret basket builds. The traverse units are taking shape as are th two MG tool boxes found on the turret floors. The seam on the shell collection container hose pipe is impossible to fix so I’ll just paint and clean up and hope.

Photos

What we want to see
HL Tiger

Traverse units

Horrid seams

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #432 by Henry
Replied by Henry on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
For the interior colours is it Cremeweiss or is it Elfenbein.

Thanks Henry

More
1 year 1 month ago #433 by Bishop
Elfenbein. Only the radio racks are white, the rest ivory or dark grey/ black. Even the breech/ breech block are ivory.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago #434 by Henry
Hi Bishop
Do you what colour I could use I've got the AK real colours book to use as reference tamiya deck tan isn't any where close even if you lighten it with white I've got Vallejos ivory but that too dark.I was looking Model Masters panzer interior buff or maybe Ammo of Migs Cremeweiss or any you could suggest.

Thanks Henry

More
1 year 1 month ago #435 by Bishop
I’ve tried various things, but the HK ivory is spot on. You could lighten the Vallejos one and try that.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #436 by Henry

Bishop wrote: I’ve tried various things, but the HK ivory is spot on. You could lighten the Vallejos one and try that.

Who makes HK Ivory.

Thanks Henry
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Henry.

More
1 year 1 month ago #437 by Bishop
Little things going on this afternoon. Various plates are in place in the turret baskets with more details to add. The MG tool boxes are advancing. The replacement gull wing MG foot trigger plates have also been fabricated out of tread plate and bent over a highly sophisticated jig. And the replacement springs for the turret traverse units have been started. The kit part also pictured is rubbish.

Photos

MG foot triggers with the kit part and the other kit part ready for one of the plates.

The gull wing shape.

A plate attached

And the sophisticated jig

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #438 by Bishop
The MG tool boxes

One in place

The added plates. The one over the connection between the traverse unit and the drivetrain unit below also has the conduit through which a power cord passes to the junction box on the gunner’s side of the basket. More about that later. The rear cover needs hinges and a handle yet.

And the replacement springs under way. The kit part only has detail on one side. Not very convincing.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #439 by yak
Replied by yak on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
wow you've done amazing stuff since i last looked in :woohoo:

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car

More
1 year 1 month ago #440 by Bishop
The grumpiest afternoon at the bench in a long time. Everything was a pain. GRRRRRRRRRRR! But the MG boxes are almost done, the springs are done and just need mounts made, the MG foot triggers are done, the handles for the rear floor hatches (brass circles), and the cables from the batteries are made and partly in place. I need to work on both the junction boxes so I can fit the shorter lengths of cable. I also need to make the brackets that hold the short piece of conduit to the gunner’s side of the basket wall. It will all make sense when done. That’s what I keep telling myself.

Photos

Basket two (it has two dots underneath)

Basket one (with one less dot). Note the power box ready for detailing. The other is still on the sprue.

And the two together to show there really are two. Note the MG boxes are not finished and not glued in yet.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #441 by Bishop
Slowly moving forward. More details on the traverse foot plates. I need a holiday. The foot plates have, of course, nothing to do with the remote turret MG trigger. The foot plate moves the turret and the trigger sticking out of the turret floor upright just above the foot plate fires the MG via linkages parts of which you can see appearing in between the uprights. The power cable to the turret is now connected as far as the junction box on the side of the upright. I’m also redoing the springs in a different way as they’d lost all definition as springs under all the CA glue. All very slow work, but satisfying.

Photos

Completed power cables and traverse foot plate

Remote MG linkages appearing in white plastic.

Dead springs

New springs partly made

I’m going hollow with the springs after all.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago #442 by Bishop
So a few more things done. The hinges are done on the rear turret floor central hatches so they are completed. The MG firing linkages are done. The springs have been added to the traverse motors, and the lower section of the gun elevation units have been added. I can now paint the two baskets hull red in preparation for the ivory. They remain as is so that I can mask things more easily. Most things will be painted separately and then attached. It’s a hint David Parker gives in “Super King”. Very wise. It is impossible to spray everything different colours once assembled.

I’ve also been working on the components for the upper gun elevation unit set up. The ribbed sleeves are casts of the one David made and can be bought through AFV Modeler like all the other items I’m using. They come with a narrow hole down through the middle so I’ve drilled them out to fit the elevation shaft and the part it runs through. A bit of work, but the resin is easy to hollow out.

Photos

Firstly the MG linkages and a shot of the traverse motor sitting in place

Next the elevation unit in place

In bits

And the two shafts having new attachment points created. Very different to the kit items.

Onwards.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago #443 by Henry
This what the Model Master panzer interior buff look like what do you think Bishop the photos with the small
Strip has Ak interactive Red primer on it that's AK180.
Thanks Henry
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #444 by Bishop
They are both good colours. If they’re too dark in the smaller 1:35 just lighten before using.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago #445 by Bishop
A warm day. Not how I like it, but good for painting. First paint on turret items.

Photos

The turret floors. No designations. Yet. I’ll have to decide which is which when the time for attachment to the respective turrets arrives.

And yes the other one.

The other bits

It is always good to get paint on so you know how much filling there is still to do. [email protected]$dy pin marks still need way more bog. Deep enough to reach China, their country of origin.

These pieces are the rear basket uprights so we have to be rid of the holes.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago #446 by Bishop
More basket components coming together. The motor under the gunner’s seat with new pipe work more like the real thing, oil nipple details on the gear box like end of the traverse unit (I pulled these off the motor so that each could be painted their respective colours without hassle), bolt details on the traverse motor and the gunner’s seat post that also holds his turret traverse wheel. Thankfully the rear upright sink holes are also gone. So glad yet again that I bought the second lot of parts when I got the Pz iv ones from Trumpeter. So nice not having to scratch a whole second basket.

Photos

Fixed uprights and prep begun on the front ones.

Traverse motor details

And motor components and new pipe work

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #447 by Bishop
Various things painted at least in a black primer. The front basket uprights are done and just need ivory as per the other uprights. The bog worked first time in this case. The counter balances are almost done too, including new mounting points. These will be glued in place when the guns are mounted. This will allow me to get the right angle for the units and to adjust the top connecting strips to the position of the gun. The little traverse motors are complete and just need painting and attachment. The brass tubes just need to be concertinaed a little to get everything sitting snug under the protective cover. The elevation wheels are almost done, but need more detail. I will attach wires from the junction box in the middle of installation. The spent shell tins need handles so I’ve sanded off the solid blocks and will work on these.

Photos

Painted items

Everything needs more paint of course.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Bishop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shaunfletcher

More
1 year 1 month ago #448 by Bishop
Small traverse motors, one upside down

Gun elevation arm with gun trigger and wheel added

One of the counter balances with its new attachment

Spent shell containers heading back to the drawing board

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #449 by Bishop
It’s been hard to get to the bench much this week and I’ve not much to show except that most things have now arrived at the painting stage. Most of these will be ivory, and ice done can be assembled. Tomorrow I hope to finish priming everything and spray the ivory and dark grey. That will require some masking of the uprights and the turret traverse wheels for the gunners, but otherwise it’s an straightforward single colour paint all round. I use the word straightforward loosely of course.

Photos

Remodeled gunner seat backs. They were solid. One of the mounts went on vacation and stayed there. Hmmmm.

The arms for attaching the counter balances are also now in place. These will be cut to length when being fitted to the gun.

Arms for the loaders’ seats

The elevation wheel arms. Wiring will be installed for the triggers when everything is in place

Both traverse wheels have added detail

And the back rest arms are in place

loader controls and forward mounting arms are done. I need to add the spare MG barrel containers to the mounting arms. These are for the turret MG

Now to painting

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #450 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Maarten.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary