The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
1 year 3 months ago #361 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
I’m away from the bench till Monday week, but I’ll keep checking in on other people’s progress

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #362 by Marder38
Replied by Marder38 on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Just Wow, I'm exhausted just scrolling down the last page.
incredible work Bishop.

Cheers
Elliott
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
1 year 3 months ago #363 by Bishop
Many thanks. I can’t wait to get back to the bench. Time to put it all together, the “so far” stuff.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago #364 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Rude words! This is amazing! :whistle:

More
1 year 3 months ago #365 by Bishop
Finally an update. I’ve been plugging along a little further with the Tiger radio/ console stacks and just need to add some wiring and stuff to the little panel beside the driver’s console on the three. The JagdTiger set up is otherwise done minus the wiring.

I’ve started adding the strapping to the engine bay air pipes, one done. I’ve also added the of Verlinden Tiger engine to the HL firewall as I decided that it was a waste of the Pz iv engine. I made the Verlinden engine in the 1990s and though crude it was close to the actual size. Rubbish looking now, but I had to start somewhere. Anyway, it now supports the rear section of the drive train.

I also had to fill some jolly holes in the engine bay so this has held up fixing the engines in place. I need to do this so I can start adding pipes etc. I’ll weather the lot when the engines are in place. Sounds strange, but that’s how things happen in the real world.

Photos

Engine and firewall

Radios sitting on one of the transmissions

Pipe strapping

And holes

Onwards

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago #366 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Better and better.. your stuff really helps keep me inspired

More
1 year 3 months ago #367 by Bishop
The radios now need a light above the radio operator’s side and they’re done. I also need to connect up the wires from the panel to the console on each stack. You can see the wires stick out of the consoles at present.

The fun part about these is that the radios and frames are dark grey, but the outer frames are white. So paint all white or all black to start with and hand paint the other. White is the obvious choice as the black will cover it nicely, but not the reverse.

The engines are now also in place and have both settled well where they should sit. This part of the build is quite fiddly as various pipes need to be added that is a much easier task with the bays still out of the hulls. Other things really need everything in the hull to finish the, but you can’t do everything easily in either location so it really is a matter of taking things a step at a time. So nice to be finally starting this part of the assembly after so much pre-construction work.

Radio stacks

JagdTiger

HL

Reverse

Trumpeter

Reverse

Engines

The business end

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 3 months ago #368 by Bishop
The next thing to do after finishing the radios is to start the plumbing of the engine and radiator areas of the two bays. Some of the lower pipes, completely covered by panels etc I won’t install as I’ll need them for some of the piping in the HL hull interior. I particularly need the two large pipes from the firewall to the interior fuel tanks. These can be see even with the crew decking in place so I need convincing pipes. Once the piping is done I’ll then install the bays and move on with fitting radiators, header tanks and so forth.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 3 months ago #369 by Bishop
Must be nuts. I haven’t even started the hull roof and hull shell racks. Whose idea was this?

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 3 months ago #370 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Just incredible. You have a huge amount of patience. :)

More
1 year 3 months ago #371 by Bishop
The wiring for the magnetos is now in both engine bays. Nice to have the brass wire finally fixed in place. I believe the wire should actually be flat, but we shall overlook that. I’ve also finished the mounting points for the radio stack fuse wires, but I’ll photograph them when done.

I’ve finished taping the air hoses and have painted one of the four tapes just to add thickness before the pipes are painted. Three to go.

I’ve also created an artist’s impression of the sirocco fans. I was going to leave them out as the kit does, but you can see the fan as you look down into the engine bay so here they are. Just mock ups as you’ll only see the tops of them. As with the two header tanks to be installed, they actually have three pipes attached to them. I’ll mock the attachment points up in each case when I join the pipes. I confess that I haven’t quite got the shape of these right, but I’ll live. As I said, you only see the tops.

Both engine bays have been in place over the last day, and fit fine thank goodness.

Photos

Sirocco fans in stages

In place sort of

With cowlings

And again in situ

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #372 by Bishop
And shots of the magneto wiring, the white parts being protective tubing

And another shot of the engine bay in place, this being the JagdTiger

Pipes and also the fuse wiring waiting for attachment to the new mounting points

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Bishop.

More
1 year 3 months ago #373 by Bishop
Couldn’t leave the sirocco fans alone could he. Hmmmm. However, they are now actually the right shape, well they always were, but the exits are now in the correct position. More sanding and they’ll bee ready to repaint. The magneto conduits are also painted.

The radios have had various connectors added as well.

Fans

Conduit

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago #374 by Marcus.Q1000859
Replied by Marcus.Q1000859 on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Hi Bishop,

This is a brilliant build. I've been inspired and shall frequently refer to your build log.

Marcus

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.

More
1 year 3 months ago #375 by Bishop
The radio stacks are finished so I can now put them aside for later in the build. The firewalls are having their details and decals done so that I can then attach the radiators to the engine bays and glue them in. I just need to make sure I have the necessary plumbing in place first. The sirocco fans are also ready for when the engines are in. They will have front plates for attachment to large rear air pipe that heads to the rear deck. And the radiator attachments for the ducts that run from the exhaust manifold shields are also prepped for attachment when the radiators are in place. Now I think I need a scotch lol.

Photos

Radio stacks

Fans and the HL firewall, the scratched one. The others don’t have the black yet.

The exhaust heat duct attachments and one sitting roughly in situ

So much of this has been sitting around have finished waiting and waiting. Suddenly it’s Showtime!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 3 months ago #376 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Starting to really come together, getting some idea of just how complex it will be when done!

More
1 year 3 months ago #377 by gibbs
Replied by gibbs on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
I hadn't realised how much I'd missed of this but going back I'm amazed at what you've done with it so far

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:

More
1 year 3 months ago #378 by Bishop
Finally a moment to sit and do things. The firewalls now have everything rough painted. Lots of cleanup and some decals to add, but that can all happen when I blend the firewalls engine compartments in. The next step has been to put the engine bays into each vehicle. I wasn’t looking forward to this, but all has gone smoothly in each case.

The HL Tiger was a matter of ensuring that the firewall was at the right angle. A nice piece of LEGO, the now supports the engine, ensured this. The other two engines just slotted in and all three are held in place with CA glue. I used CA so that if I needed to bust them out again they wouldn’t be melted in place, and because it dries quickly allowing me to hold things in the right position without dying of old age. I can now happily insert the radiators.

Photos

HL

Trumpeter Tiger

With one of the internal covers in place (one each side). These sit below the radiators and above the lower fuel tanks. They hide a lot of details and are themselves hidden below the radiators.

With sirocco fan just sitting there

Trumpeter JagdTiger

Pipes now ready for attachment when the radiators are in

And the radios now in black primer. I’ll now paint the outer frames white and black the radios again later

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 3 months ago #379 by Bishop
A quick update with shots of the radiators just sitting in place to prove they fit and one of the rear upper fuel tank with the ducting running down through it to the sirocco fan. I’ll now have to cut off the bottom section of the split V pipes to narrow the V to enable the pipes to fit onto the front plate (yet to be made), of each sirocco fan. I wasn’t going to do this, but I may as well now everything is there. A number of other pipes such as the preheating air pipes used for cold cold starts I won’t even add, just as promised at the beginning of the build.

Photos

JagdTiger

Tiger

Fuel header with pipes to the sirocco fan (Tiger)

These pipes need to join connectors in the middle dis of the fan

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 3 months ago #380 by Bishop
And the cutting begins

Now the right width, but lots of bog, sanding and joining ahead

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 3 months ago #381 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Wow I love your SHADO collection and the interceptors!!!
Still following your build here, looks almost real which is what it's all about, it's actually helped me with a small side project I was doing as well.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
1 year 2 months ago #382 by Bishop
So, various pipes shortened and adjusted on each unit so that the pipes will happily join the pipes that will soon be attached to the front plates (white disks at present), of each sirocco fan. Everything now needs painting, oh and the attachment pipes created too.

Once this is done I’ll paint the magneto wires, install the plate that sits between the two header tanks and the engine and glue the fan in place in each bay.

Photos

The set up minus the connecting pipes

Both units

In the Tiger engine to give an idea of where it fits

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #383 by Bishop
One done and one with a stupid seam. Not sure how the bog didn’t fill that. It will be completed unseen, but I must fix it or my life will be ruined. Heehee

GRRRRRRR

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #384 by Bishop
The pipes to the sirocco fans are completed with more painting to be done. Each has a third pipe running from the left radiator fan that also attaches to it. I’ll see how I go with that. It can’t be seen so I’m not stressing over it. It will be attached to the radiator end though.

I’m also returning to the transmissions to paint in their details. It’s finally time to start installing the three drivetrains.

Photos

Tiger shots first

The dividing panel sitting there for now

Ready for paint

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #385 by Bishop
And the JagdTiger with mostly painted plumbing

And the transmissions with nice shiny black handles finally

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #386 by Bishop
The next big moment has arrived with the fitting of the three transmissions. I have to do this so that I can build the pipe work around each and install the drive train behind each. This requires adding the details as I proceed down the hulls which will allow me to check I’ve not forgotten stuff as I go. In the two Tigers, for example, there is an oil can and a magnetic inspection lamp that sit behind the driver’s seat. I still haven’t decided if I’ll add them, but using this process I have a little time left to choose.

Photos

Firstly the HL Tiger. I can’t believe it all actually fits.

Scratched from front to back

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #387 by Bishop
Next the JagdTiger not so scratched from front to back and about to be hidden by an enormous gun

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #388 by Bishop
And finally the Trumpeter Tiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
1 year 2 months ago #389 by Bishop
None of these is actually glued yet just in case they need to be move to fit things. A cable will come from the right side of the gear box section of the transmission, one from the right side of the forward transmission section and one from the conduit (also on the right of the transmission), from the engine, up on to the top of the transmission to plug into the driver’s console. These can all be added after the drive train is in place, but various holes will need to be drilled while things can be moved about. Boy there’s a lot to do.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
1 year 2 months ago #390 by Bishop
And here they are roughed out, the oil cans and inspection lamps. The spouts need work yet as do the mounting brackets

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary