Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: 1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #1

• deanreynolds
  • deanreynolds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys,

We just got two new Panthers at work to replace the old appliances so I thought I'd have a go at scratch building one.

Here is the real one:

I've made a start on the chassis and brought a lot of resin parts for it including Wheels, diff sets and engine so far. It's going to be big when it's finished, 500mm long, so I'm going to detail it as much as I can.

Here is where it's at so far:

Full size plans:

Chassis and wheels:

Diff looks just the right size:

engine assembled:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by deanreynolds.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #2

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Great stuff. this will be fun!
Whats the resin wheels and donk from?
Grant

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #3

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Grant,

They are from Kit Form Services in the UK. Great detail, I need to order two more diffs and a gearbox for it from them then I can start mounting it all to the chassis.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #4

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 543
Interesting project Dean :) Going to be watching this build.
What is the engine?cummins,cat?

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #5

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
It's a cat. Our real ones use Volvo engines and chassis but Rosenbauer do use cats as well. They are quite similar but most of the detail will be hidden once the superstructure is built around it so close enough is good enough.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #6

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
Very awesome, can't wait to see more.

Nice and handy getting a set of plans.

Cheers Michael

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #7

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yeah, I photocopied pages from the operation manuals at work and got a digital printer to scale them up for me.

I put the diff together tonight, went together with no problem and even better it turned out to be exactly the right width so didn't need any modifications to fit. I'll count that as a win!

One down, two to go:

Wheel hubs dry fitted:

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #8

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 428
Man that's a mean looking vehicle. Some nice scratching there plus that resin looks pretty nice too.
I always remember the racket the airforce fire trucks used to make, hopefully these are a lot quieter than the old ones?
The following user(s) said Thank You: deanreynolds

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #9

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well with all the technology in them you'd think so but nope, they are just as loud as our old ones.

I did a bit more on the chassis while I wait for more resin to turn up.

Built and added the Chassis mounting point for the springs:

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #10

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Wow great scratch building
Look forward to seeing more.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #11

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Some seriously nice work going on here. . .
Will watch with considerable interest.

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #12

• Dangermouse84
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
This looks awesome!! Looking forward to the finished build

Slow is steady, steady is fast

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #13

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
Great scratch build...looks to be a very interesting topic
watching this build with interest...

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #14

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
This build is just so cool lol

been looking at Kit Form Services there stuff is amazing, but dam the full kits are an arm and a leg lol

Cheers Michael

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 4 months ago #15

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 102
Wow, very cool! I haven't flown in and out of WLG for a few years now, but was in there a LOT during the 80s and 90s. I remember when the previous appliances were new and state of the art. These look really futuristic.
Looking forward to your progress.
Cheers
Tania

PS do Rescue Firies still have the cleanest cars around? :P

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 3 months ago #16

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 924

PS do Rescue Firies still have the cleanest cars around?

Do we need to ask how you know this Tania? :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 3 months ago #17

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Tania,
Yeah these ones are pretty flash. If we accidentally forget to top up the water tank before we put it away the truck itself emails the boss to remind us. haha.

I wish, The quiet days are long gone unfortunately. Always time for the weekend roast though.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 3 months ago #18

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The diffs arrived yesterday so I built them up and dry fitted it all together to see how It'll look. Just waiting on the gearbox now then I'll be able to mount it all up so it'll finally be sitting on its wheels:

Next to a 1/43 diecast Panther I'm repainting in our markings for a workmate:

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 3 months ago #19

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Gary wrote:

PS do Rescue Firies still have the cleanest cars around?

Do we need to ask how you know this Tania? :P

When I was Nelson based, and living in a dingy little flat with no off-street parking, I used to go down to the Rescue Fire station and use their outside hose to clean my car. The guys there (great team) used to have all the necessary car-cleaning equipment. There was a bit more time between flights in Nelson back in those days....busy for a couple of hours in the morning, and then for another couple in the evening, but pretty quiet during the rest of the day. As a result the rescue firefighters had a bit of spare time on their hands, so spent it keeping their cars clean!

Also Dean, having said I hadn't been to Wellington for a while, I ended up there in the 767 last Thursday morning on a divert from Christchurch due fog. Saw the Panthers parked in the station. Were you on duty?

Cheers

Tania

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 5 years 3 months ago #20

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I wish we were that quiet. lol. Day shifts are flat out in Wellington. There are 200 movements a day here. Weekends are a bit different. We get most of the work done on week days so we can slow down a bit on weekends. Always time for the lunch time roast at least lol.
Yep I was there that day, I went in for over time to cover a 777 that came in from Japan last week too. The Panthers and Chev Silverado are all front line now so it's good to finally be using them.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #21

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I just noticed how long it's been since I've posted. I haven't done any more on the Panther for a long time but I've just finished another vehicle we have at work. It's a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado. I found a 1/24 diecast model of it so decided to convert it:

Here is the real one we have at work:

And here is my version of it:

I've ordered a couple of 1/24 Revell Rosenbauer Simbs's so when they arrive I'll get stuck back into the Panther. Hopefully I can use some of the Simbas parts so I don't have to scratch build quite as much.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #22

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Dean, that looks great. Do you do your own decals? Really like the number plates. Nice touch.
Cheers
Tania

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #23

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1196
Awesome stuff Dean. What Tania said about the decals and licence plate. Top work mate.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #24

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1674
Oh, nice stuff so far.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #25

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks everyone.
For the decals I went to the sign writer that did the originals. They just scaled them down for me and printed them on thinner vinyl. I'll be doing the same thing for the Panther when I get up to that stage. The number plate was done just by taking a photo of it and scaling it down to the right size. I tried printing it out on decal paper but for some reason my printer didn't like it so I just printed it on normal paper and stuck it to a thin piece of plastic card, still turned out alright.
I'll get back in to the Panther in a couple of weeks, I've ordered a couple of 1/24 Revell Rosenbauer Simba's so I'm hoping I'll be able to use some parts off them so I won't have to scratch build quite so much.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #26

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Love it.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #27

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Very nice :)

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 4 years 2 months ago #28

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517

Dave
Attachments:

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 3 years 7 months ago #29

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi guys,

I can't believe it's been over a year since I did any work on this. Life has a bad habit of getting in the way.[smiley-laughing002]. In the last 12 months I've got married, went to Vegas for the honeymoon, ran two more recruit courses, passed my first post graduate university paper and now my wife is 3 months pregnant with our first baby. I started an Airfix 1/24 GR3 Harrier to get my mojo back. I've almost finished it, just waiting for some paint to dry before I can gloss it, so in the mean time I pulled the Panther back out.
I brought two Revell Simbas in the hopes that I can use a lot of the parts since Simbas and Panthers are both built by Rosenbauer.

Here's the pics so far:

I built up one of the chassis to see how close it'll be to what I need:

It is much more detailed than my scratch built attempt and with a bit of surgery it'll be a good basis to build up from:

Mounts for both sets of rear wheels are in exactly the right spot, I'll just need to modify the front to change it to 6x6 instead of 8x8, and the chassis will need to be shortened a couple of mm forward and aft of both axles but still much easier than building and detailing everything from scratch:

I built up a kit diff to check sizes and it is the same width as the resin part. It's much less detailed so I'll be using the resin sets instead. Ran into a problem with the resin wheels and tyres I brought. Although very well detailed, they turned out to be much smaller than the kit parts. Crisis averted though, the kit tyres match the diameter of the scale drawing exactly and are pretty well detailed themselves so they'll be going on the resin diffs:8/IMG_5586_zps0uo22u70.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'll try and get some more done over the next couple of days. I'll build up some substructures to see what I can convert to use.

1/24 Wellington Airport Rosenbauer Panther Scratch Build 3 months 2 days ago #30

• deanreynolds
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'm finally back! Just rereading this thread and I cant believe I started this over 5 years ago! A lot has happened over the last few years but it's now coming into winter so hopefully I'll be able to find time to make some progress on it. A few things to happen that affect the build is:

We now have one of Rosenbauers newest Panthers at work so I now have to decide which one I want to build.

Rosenbauer have themselves made diecast models of our new truck in 1/87 and 1/43 scales.

And Hasegawa have released a 1/72 plastic kitset of our older two Panthers.

So I can either build our old one along side the hasegawa kit copying its parts as I go or build the new one scaling up the measurements of the diecast models. Either way, both versions are on the same Volvo Penta chassis and drivetrain so I've got a while to make up my mind.

Last Edit: by Gary.
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary