• Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #1 by IAN
Panther D was created by IAN
Kit - Tamiya
Paint - All acrylics
Decals - Star 35-876
Extras - JR turned aluminium barrel, Tamiya kit-specific 'Detail-up' etch set.

PzKpfw V Panther Ausf D
Pz.Abt 52, Late Summer 1943.

Wanted this kit since it was first announced - my favourite German WWII vehicle by a country mile. Kit build is 'typically Tamiya' the usual perfect fit and engineering, did struggle with the kit supplied rubber tracks but that's because I think I glued the idler axles too far to the rear thus over-stressing the tracks, or I did something else wrong, who can say. 

Paint is Mig's Dunkelgelb modulation set with Tamiya Red Brown and Field Grey 'squiggles' - I diluted the Tamiya colours about 70% with their lacquer thinner and it sprayed perfectly. The paint effects are the usual cocktail of sponge chipping, toothpick scratches, an enamel filter (home brewed) and oil-dot filter - In 1943 this would have been a relatively new vehicle so didn't want to fade the paintwork too much, or rust-up the exhausts. Dirt is all Mig pigments, European Earth, European Dust and City Dirt. I took my time and applied it (using clean turps as a fixer), just one facet at a time and I'm really pleased with the final result.

Only my third ever German WWII armour build and really enjoyed it.

Best from the Naki.

Ian.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by IAN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #2 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Panther D
No one seems to like being first but I will :)
Lovely work Sir, I don't care if it's not 100% accurate (not that I'd know) I just like everything about it, the colours look right, the weathering is not over done and it's not hidden by stowage and detritus.
You should be pleased with that mate, I would be.
There's just one niggly little bit, I'd of put the track join at the top under the side plates. I didn't notice it at first, so that's a good thing, it was only because I've kept coming back looking for something wrong that I saw it, and that's all I can see :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #3 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Panther D
great work Ian. That cloth and jerry can on the rear is an awesome touch

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• IAN
  • IAN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #4 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic Panther D

Gary wrote: There's just one niggly little bit, I'd of put the track join at the top under the side plates. I didn't notice it at first, so that's a good thing, it was only because I've kept coming back looking for something wrong that I saw it, and that's all I can see :D

I did.... but they snapped - over tensioned, they just need one or two more track links and it would have been perfect, as it is, had to repair it on the fly.

Sh*t happens.

Ian.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by IAN.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary