Decals - Kit
Extras - none

Cromwell MkIV
Armoured Observation Post
5th RHA, 7th Armoured Division
Normandy, Summer 1944

Thanks for looking...
Ian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cromwell * * DONE * * 1 month 3 weeks ago #2

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1609
I really like how the modulation has turned out. You haven’t in this case, but be careful not to over chip. Chipping depends on the wealth of an army in peace time, the ferocity of battle and climate in war time and the length of time before a surviving vehicle is relieved or given an overhaul. Paint quality is also a big factor. The desert is heavy weather, winter in Russia is too. As much as possible vehicles would have been made over and paint kept up, but reduced supplies etc made this harder to do for the Germans for example, but the life expectancy of vehicles heading into the second half of the war was very short so paint didn’t have as much time to deteriorate.

I should add that the chipping on this is very very well done. More more!!!’
The following user(s) said Thank You: IAN

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Cromwell * * DONE * * 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 422
Very nice. I love the surface variation and the dirt.

Cromwell * * DONE * * 1 month 2 weeks ago #4

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 235
Bloody beautiful! :whistle:

Cromwell * * DONE * * 1 month 2 weeks ago #5

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 235
Like others have mentioned I've not been sold on modulation to date but this build has changed my mind. While there is perhaps just one spot on the rear cover I would do differently myself, this is not a criticism just my subjective preference, versus an argument for doing it another totally valid way as you have.

Mud and dirt is well executed both front and rear. Any specific paints and colours used for this please Ian? As Bishop said chipping is delightful and I'm curious as to what colour or colours you used for the chipped steel base colour as well please?

I say keep doing what you're doing, trying out new stuff and keep posting it here so we can all benefit from a pretty clearly photo documented process. The only thing I'd like to see you do in the future is perhaps put the paints (bottles) you've been using in the progress photos so we can all get a feel for both the paint types and colours used.

Cracking build Ian.

Cromwell * * DONE * * 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

• IAN
  • IAN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 426

Terry wrote: Mud and dirt is well executed both front and rear. Any specific paints and colours used for this please Ian? As Bishop said chipping is delightful and I'm curious as to what colour or colours you used for the chipped steel base colour as well please? .

Thanks for the kind words, Terry, really appreciate it.
OK, mud & dirt is three Mig pigments - City Dirt, European Earth and European Dust (perfect tone to red brick), I did spray the wheels and lower hull first with essentially 'dirty thinners' - the upper two-thirds in a Buff & Neutral Grey, the lower third with Khaki & Panzer Grey [all Tamiya acrylics].

Chipping is with the same cocktail that I use for the base-coat when I spray the tracks, which is 45% Hull Red, 45% NATO Black and 10% Gunmetal or Metallic Grey, again all Tamiya acrylics.

HTH

Ian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary