I bought this not long before the lockdown and so I decided to pull it out the other night and have a look
It's probably the size of a small 1:48 plane, like a Hawk or AlphaJet. I hand painted the cockpit and seats while in front of the TV so no shots of that.
The list is a really really nice fit. Not perfect, and that might be my fault, but this is probably a great mojo builder type kit. The panel lines are really fine so I'll need to be careful not to fill them in.
I had to hold the side of the fuselage just to ensure the sides were flush. This was the only issue with the two halves coming together. It may have been my fault prepping them in near dark in front of the TV.
And this is where I'm up to. Two halves joined. I'm going to remove the wings and paint them separately, but planning on have this gear up, wings swept back on a stand with bomb bays open.
Carrying on slowly with the build. I added the additional fuel tank. The rest of the internal will be painted separately.
The rear tail section is slip moulded and fit damn near perfectly. Actually damn near perfect just about sums up the kit. I'm not saying it is perfect, but it's close.
There are pre supplied masks too. Yes, thank you Academy.
And the whole glass area does fit perfectly.
The engines include intake ramps. Really nicely done too.
I have a stand from an Airfix quick build kit. So I makes the area I want to use for the stand and took out my Dremel.
After this, I added a few more pieces, and then wifey knocked it out of my hands by accident. Fortunately, it looks OK and I am prepping to hopefully prime today. I think I need to use the AK Microprimers as I want to keep the paint as thin as possible and not to fill in panel line detail. Does anyone know if this is an enamel or a lacquer based primer?
I've done a little over the past few days. I made up the armament, deciding on what I think ate 2000lb JDams. I'm really not up to play on weaponry.
These were just painted with Vallejo white top paints. A little rough but it's 1/144 so it's not worth being a super perfectionist.
And they will look ok in the weapons bay. Also notice the cut our between the weapon bays for the stand.
Sits OK, not perfect, but pretty good.
I finally decided to look at priming. I used some AK Microfiller for the first time. My airbrush spat it a bit so I changed airbrushes and ended up spraying OK. I'll need to sand back the underside of the B1, but all the bay doors are great which means I can look at how I detail the pipe works and other bits and pieces. If I get a chance I'll spray the rest in the grey AK Microfiller. I don't want to use anything thicker like Stynylrez in case I lose detail as the panel lines are really fine.
Thanks guys. More progress than pictures, I tried AK's Microprimer which I haven't gotten on with in the past, but lowering my air pressure a chunk has been a revelation. This stuff has gone down awesomely. Great smooth finish and sprayed really well. I used the black primer to prime the exhaust nozzles, as the final paint for the nose cone, and to do the preshading. I must admit, I wasn't going to pre shade with the model being so fine, but I had a big boost in confidence with my painting. Not with the ability to paint straight lines, just the ability to paint in general mind you
Got to add paint. Tried mixing the Gunze Aqueous in a shot glass instead of the colour cup for the first time. It allowed for a much thinner mix, and then I could spray at a lower pressure. Still getting used to painting this way but the finish has worked out quite well. No drying before it reached the model or on the tip so I'm happy.
Looking good. I’ve wondered at various points about flossing for decals. The last time I tried without they just silvered. I’ve gone to using pledge/ Kleer on the spots that need to have decals rather than whole panzers as 1:16 is too big for that and any paint disasters in weathering can become more weathering. Doesn’t work on planes though unless they are wreaks. I think I’d gloss this before weathering and decals, but I don’t know enough about planes.
As usual your care and attention to detail is showing even while the plane is in bits.
So I started one of my least favourite things, decaling. At least its something I can do on the dining room table.
The decals are really nice, even if I stuff the placement up a bit.
The large decals on the wings however, haven't sat down as well. Ther has been a lot of silvering underneath these. I have scored them and cut along the panel lines and tried three different setting solutions.
I even tried Extra Thing, but nothing has gotten these to bed down.
The main fuselage was all done though so I threw on some Dark Dirt Flory's wash onto the fuselage and left it overnight.
It worked really well. I wasn't sure how well it would do considering the fineness of the panel lines.
She's starting to come together.
And I've bitten the bullet and sanded off the wing decals, I'll respray and mask ti manually add the decal lines. I will lose the stars and bars though, but I'll just take that as it is.