For my next build I'm going to finally do the 1/24 Typhoon. (I'm also posting this over on LSP for the Iron Rain GB there.) But I'm going to do the unthinkable and not bother with most of the copious interior detail. Why? Because I know I just won't enjoy all that fiddly painting and assembling, and secondly because I really like the look of this brute of an aircraft and want to display it all closed up. So I will be skipping some of the steps (which will hopefully also make it a little easier to close up) and making a beeline for the final paint job and weathering.
A bit of relaxing time at the bench tonight (actually at my office desk at home). The engineering on this kit is something else. It's very fun to put together. There are mold parting and ejector pin marks here and there, but nothing that will be too bad once this thing is closed up. The big thing is trying to work out how much I can glue together before I paint (and what I need to bother painting). I think this is about it before I will paint this and then start gluing painted parts on. The fit is so nice a small dab of super glue gel will keep most of painted parts on.
I went back and fixed some things on this after seeing the pictures. I've also decided to build all the interior detail on the kit and have a couple of panels off. My modelling mojo is on a roll at the moment and I'm getting a couple of hours in most days. I need a new airbrush though as I have literally worn out the trigger and valve assembly on the talon.
Thanks all. Lots more work on this. This kit has more gaps to fill than any $200 kit really should. Largely these stem from all the removable panels in the front end. Even with leaving out all of the internal detail (as instructed by the easy to miss green circles in the instructions) it is difficult to line everything up precisely. If I build it again I would leave all of the panels off, or take out even more of the internal details. It will look okay once filled though, and I haven't lost any of the amazing surface detail yet. When you don't build all of the internal stuff it is actually a fairly simple kit.
Thnaks all. I've finished the filling then added the canopy. The canopy front is not ideal because the sprue gates impinge on the clear area. I much prefer those kits where the canopy includes some of the fuselage (like the Trumpeter Flanker I just finished). I also glued the bombs, gear doors and the prop. Next I shot a bit of flat yellow (at which stage I took these pics). I've just masked this, but had to stop when I clumsily stabbed the tip of my thumb with a fresh #11 blade. I think the very tip of the blade broke off in there. Oh well, I haven't cut myself for years so I guess it was coming.
Working on the first camo colour. Sorry about the crappy pics as always. First is the mottling I use to provide a bit of variation in the painted surface. Next this is mostly covered by a mist of the main colour. I've put a thin layer of gloss over this to protect it. I'll mask for the green next.