TOPIC: 1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #1

• grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1051
Having just finished my Nissan Skyline, I cleaned my bench and thought "this doesn't look right....

So I looked in the stash and pulled out a kit I wanted to try. The 1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition. I do like me the Mirage family.

Ok, first off, this is not going to be a "Weekend" build, but I am hoping for a build that doesn't take too long. Maybe a month build would be a good target, so by the end of September I hope to have this complete. This is the scheme I will be working on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #2

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I had also bought the colour photoetch set and mask set last month so I pulled them out.

Looking at the detail, its really nice, but I do wonder if some of the detail like the riveting will get lost in the primer and paint.

I would normally use Stynylrez but for this build I'm going to try natural metal finish using the Vallejo Acrylic metals, so I will be using Tamiya or Gunze gloss black as a base. I need to learn about the Mirage III as I have some questions already. If there are any Mirage experts, please sing out so I can send some questions your way.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #3

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • WE WON THE CUP (s)!!!
  • Thank you received: 466
Cool stuff, will be watching this build too Kane.

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #4

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 369
Nice choice. I'll be watching. B)

grover wrote: Looking at the detail, its really nice, but I do wonder if some of the detail like the riveting will get lost in the primer and paint.

That is nice detail and it should be okay if you use light coats. I think a fundamental mistake lots of people make is just putting too much paint on the model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #5

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Malcolm
  • Thank you received: 373
Great choice Kane. I'm no Mirage expert so can't help with the questions but I think Ian has finished one recently.

Just the other day I was looking at a Weekend Edition Eduard kit in my stash and wondering if it was actually possible to do a good job of it in a weekend. I don't think so. Painting, assembly, painting, masking, painting, clear coat, decals, clear coat, washes - there's just not enough drying time in one weekend - and it wouldn't be worth the stress. So I think you're right to spend a month. :)

On the bench:
Legato 1/72 P-40E 'Darwin Defender'
Airlines 1/72 Airspeed Oxford
Airfix 1/72 Tiger Fighter
Heller (Airfix) 1/72 Spitfire 1A

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #6

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1162
Sweet mate, should be good watching this one come together. I also don't understand how someone can build a model in one weekend - for a good job, not possible... though it would be interesting to see if you could build something in 48 hours... no sleep... hhmmm.....

Also the detail shouldn't go if you use light coats as mentioned above. I had the Eduard BF110 1/48 and it had similar detail in riveting etc - still there quite nicely after a few layers of paint etc. You should be alright.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #7

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 189
Looks like very nice detail. I've almost bought one of their Mig-21 kits, but something in 1/32 always seems to pop up and I buy that instead.

As far as not losing any of that detail and although it would be a fair amount of work, you could always polish the bare plastic with a motor tool fitted with buffer and apply your metallics over that.

Last Edit: by KitModellerNZ.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #8

• IAN
  • Thank you received: 366

grover wrote: If there are any Mirage experts, please sing out so I can send some questions your way.

Would never, ever call m'self an expert at anything whatsoever, but I do have a few references on the Mirage family, if I can help, I would be happy to.

Powder has a good memory, I finished the old Esci/Italeri IIIO earlier this year.

Ian.
Attachments:

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #9

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers all. Will see how the base coat goes down and if I do lose detail, it will be in the riveting so I will redo it. I think it will lend itself nicely to a metal finish

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #10

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

IAN wrote:

grover wrote: If there are any Mirage experts, please sing out so I can send some questions your way.

Would never, ever call m'self an expert at anything whatsoever, but I do have a few references on the Mirage family, if I can help, I would be happy to.
Powder has a good memory, I finished the old Esci/Italeri IIIO earlier this year.

Ian.

Cheers Ian. I guess it's kinda like crowd-sourcing research :D

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #11

• nuuumannn
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Is this going to be an OOB build? :)

Kane, if you wanted to stretch your legs, you could do a nice Argentine Mirage IIICJ; here are a couple of examples:

The Argies received ex-Israeli Mirages, the difference between the IIIC and the 'CJ was avionics - and the letter 'J', which stood for - without a word of a lie; 'Jew'!

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #12

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers Nuuumannn. I'm going to build one of the 2 kit options so I can try a bare metal finish. I would love to do an Argentinian bird one day though.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #13

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I quite like the desert scheme, the first option... hmm... another kit coming up ;)

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #14

• nuuumannn
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Looking forward to seeing your natural metal finish, Kane.

The desert schemes were hangovers from Israeli service and the drop tanks on the first profile are in IDFAF colours. The lower one is weathered to the extent that the desert colours are appearing. A trick to try and replicate on plastic.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 2 weeks ago #15

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 369
NIce Kane, the mirage was always a very nice looking aircraft. If any of you are wondering how good a kit can look from being finished in a weekend, hopefully G1 can post some pics of some of his weekend builds, honestly they are miles above what a lot of modellers could do in months, let alone a couple of days.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #16

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. Been so busy with work and painting up a cot for baby coming in December, I haven't done too much to get going yet. Not a great sign for my plan to be finished by the end of the month. I did however cut the wing sections and fuselage halves off the sprues, and started familiarising myself with the other sprue trees.

Although I have used the Vallejo Metal acrylics before, I want to get a proper idea of their colour, especially as there seem to be colours that are quite close to each other. I did a test earlier in the year but I didn't have the technique down and flooded the card I was using as a test sheet. This time I'm trying the popular spoon method so grabbed a bunch from the supermarket and sprayed them with Tamiya X1.

I'm also doing a bit of research, and have used OneNote, something i did last year with a big build. This will let me add some notes, marks and stuff, and I can quickly cut things from the web and send directly to OneNote through the Chrome extension. At the moment I'm trying to decipher the paint call outs with the Aluminium colour (highlighted) being specified for both the body, but also what looks like the wing panels that actually look like a different colour. This is probably going to be a case of "go with your gut" and will make the testing of the Metalics more important.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #17

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 163
Alclad if you're OK with painting it, its the way to go!!

Aluminium, dull aluminium or duralium for the wing patches they also do a good pale burnt metal for the gold color they are alos bullet proof with masking.

i have a scale model article which is can scan and send to you he used alclad with amazeballs results

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #18

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Malcolm
What waste of spoons - you could have used the cot as the test piece for the metal acrylics. :P

That lower paint 'call out' looks a bit suspicious - why would it go onto the panel with the roundel and not just stop at the wing leading-edge panel.
I wonder if it was originally pointing to the darker grey panel but someone has been a bit clumsy with a mouse and bumped it to the left while laying out the sheet?
Anyway, progress is progress and the month is still young. :)

On the bench:

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #19

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I have some Alclads, and have used them successfully in the past and they are great. I also found them to be really fragile. I bought almost the complete set of Vallejo Metallics so thought this would be a great project to really try them out on something large. I also have a couple of the AK metals, but I think these were from the bad batches, even though they were supposed to be fine. If the spoon test doesn't give good results, maybe I do bite the bullet and go with the Alclads, or invest in new AK Extreme Metals?

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #20

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Powder wrote: What waste of spoons - you could have used the cot as the test piece for the metal acrylics. :P

lol, I'm just thankful I haven't dragged white interior paint through the house. I've slapped enough of it on this damn cot. :pinch:

Cheers powder, and yup, the call outs aren't quite right, but the kit as a whole looks really nice.

Last Edit: by grover.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #21

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good luck with the colouring mate, I'm sure you'll figure it out...

and get time in NOW with building models... coz once baby comes, it's going to be hard to get the time, or energy from 3 or so wake ups in the night :P

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #22

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 764
You need to develop the deeper sleeping pattern, the one that is heavier than the wife.................. It's not like she has to go to work the next day................ :evil:

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #23

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Gary wrote: You need to develop the deeper sleeping pattern, the one that is heavier than the wife.................. It's not like she has to go to work the next day................ :evil:

:woohoo: OOOooooo - just don't let her hear you say that!

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #24

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Gary wrote: You need to develop the deeper sleeping pattern, the one that is heavier than the wife.................. It's not like she has to go to work the next day................ :evil:

haha, I already have that sussed. i could sleep through a hurricane. ;)

Anyway, I got some time tonight to spray the metallics for testing. Marked the spoons before hand

Then light misty coats to put on the colour. It is bloody good value really. 4 drops was more than enough

And soon I had most of the colours tested. I had more colours than I realised though and so had to prime 2 more spoons. Some of the colours look very similar though. I know they mix but it might be hard to get a consistent colour if needing another mix

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #25

• nuuumannn
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

You need to develop the deeper sleeping pattern, the one that is heavier than the wife

I work night shift and so to block out any noise being made by the world around me during the day I shove in the little foam ear plugs. Works a treat, although they took a bit of getting used to. They help when the wife's not all that pleased with me, too...

Looks like quite a bit of preparation; natural metal finishes must be tricky. I've never done one.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #26

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The biggest thing with any metal finish is that it will show any imperfections in the surface of the model so preparing the kit before paint is very important. The only reason I'm spraying the spoons is to see what each color looks like. I won't need to do this again, and some of the other metallic paint like alclad come in clear glass bottles, so you can see their colour much easier.

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #27

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice work with the spoons, least you have that reference now with any metallic finishes you are looking for, and will be able to put them side-by-side and see what the contrast is going to be. Cool

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #28

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah K2, it will be helpful. Also learned that different colour base coats will give different shades too which makes sense. Aparantly light gloss blue is great for a chrome look. Here's the spoons side by side, and one thing about using the acrylic is althought they aren't as metallic as say Alclads, they are so much more robust and handle-able. If it was an Alclad I would not be touching and gloss coating as soon as possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xtr3meNZer

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #29

• Powder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Malcolm

On the bench:

1/48 Eduard Mirage III Weekend Edition 1 year 1 week ago #30

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Powder wrote:

Noice!!!!! ++ Soundgarden :woohoo:

Moderators: Tony LeeBishopAndrewMaartenCyNaKyLGary1/35th Battalion