Please update your Flash Player to view content.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops

New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 3 years 8 months ago #1

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
I,ve been thinking about a Kiwimodeller "register" of NEW ZEALAND model shops. I mean walk in the door, pocket full of cash or bust out the EFT-POS shop.
Nothing against on-line shopping, but I like the personal touch of actually seeing their smile when they take my money :lol:
Having lost our local model shop, I find it a bugger when I run out of say, flat white paint or want a weapon set for a 1/72 jet. A two hour drive, so I have to make a shopping list and when I go to Ch-Ch now I spend like $200 before I walk out the door -real hard to keep under the radar from "her indoors".
I guess it will be all on-line shortly, except the major centres. I wish I'd supported my local more when I had one :(

"Register"
- perhaps categorized by LOCATION (google map?) and then sub-categorized by size (i.e kit sets only -> full range AM)
-perhaps report on service, price, range of product.

This could benefit us in many ways
-competition - keeping prices realistic,
-locating "new lines of supply"
-excuse to visit back water towns ("Hey Sheryl, I hear Wanganui's got a flash model shop. Fancy a holiday up there next year love?")
-it may help the retailers to help us, i.e stocking what we what, rather than what they think we what

Just an idea, what do the natives think? :)
"Rough as Guts Production's"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 3 years 8 months ago #2

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
  • Thank you received: 44
Unfortunately the only Model shop I knew of in Auckland that carried a halfway decent range of AM closed up shop and now operates out of a room smaller than my ensuite that you have to know how to find or you wouldn't even know it was there.
My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 3 years 8 months ago #3

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
Thats a shame Dean.
I can remember as a kid visiting a large model shop in Auckland (30 years ago) and it couldn't compare to the Frankton Model Shop back then.
Is the Frankton shop still going?
The best I've seen in NZ has got to be Accorn Models in Christchurch.
Awesome range, awesome service and reasonable prices too.
"Rough as Guts Production's"

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 3 years 8 months ago #4

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 259
Frankton is still going, Steve's models in Papakura is a pretty good shop with a nice range of paints. Hobby City is ok, it has a lot of RC which kind of swamps the models etc, hopefully with more room they can spread out their stock and we can finally see what they have. Modelair is a good shop, well laid out and not a bad selection of kits and bits.
Cambridge models closed down a couple of years ago which is a real shame, I used to love going over there at the weekend with the family, and the mutt. Used to stop off on the way to the lake and have a ganders around.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons
Waikato Scale Modelling Club
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Gary.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 3 years 8 months ago #5

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
  • Thank you received: 44
Auckland's collection is shrinking, don't know if he's moved or what but Bringans outlet shop is closed, two that were in Browns Bay have closed, one in Glen Eden, one in Swanson, both closed, Ace is now in a cupboard and I suspect that's just delaying the inevitable, the one in Silverdale is gone. Modelair, both Hobbycitys and Merv Smith are all still there but Acorn Auckland is long gone and MSmith is more trains than kits. HCity is more diecasts and RC in Albany, slightly better range of kits and stuff in the City store which will soon be the Mt. Wellington store ( hopefully bigger shop means better range ). They're all there is for paints and tools etc, though some of the Toyworlds do an okay range of paints.

The unfortunate reality is ( and I'm an NZ Retailer/Distributor myself ), you can land stuff from HK for around 2/3 the retail price here. Once the walk-ins finally die off who's left to buy.
My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Dean.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 3 years 8 months ago #6

• Marder38
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm afraid Dean is right
I landed a 1/72 Revell Morser 21 for $20 including postage from Hobbyeasy Hong Kong
& they are $44.95 here.

Is Stokers in Greenlane still around?

Also we have Bay Hobbies in Tauranga

It's got to the point were I leave our shops empty handed more & more