Please update your Flash Player to view content.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops

New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #1

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
I,ve been thinking about a Kiwimodeller "register" of NEW ZEALAND model shops. I mean walk in the door, pocket full of cash or bust out the EFT-POS shop.
Nothing against on-line shopping, but I like the personal touch of actually seeing their smile when they take my money :lol:
Having lost our local model shop, I find it a bugger when I run out of say, flat white paint or want a weapon set for a 1/72 jet. A two hour drive, so I have to make a shopping list and when I go to Ch-Ch now I spend like $200 before I walk out the door -real hard to keep under the radar from "her indoors".
I guess it will be all on-line shortly, except the major centres. I wish I'd supported my local more when I had one :(

"Register"
- perhaps categorized by LOCATION (google map?) and then sub-categorized by size (i.e kit sets only -> full range AM)
-perhaps report on service, price, range of product.

This could benefit us in many ways
-competition - keeping prices realistic,
-locating "new lines of supply"
-excuse to visit back water towns ("Hey Sheryl, I hear Wanganui's got a flash model shop. Fancy a holiday up there next year love?")
-it may help the retailers to help us, i.e stocking what we what, rather than what they think we what

Just an idea, what do the natives think? :)
"Rough as Guts Production's"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #2

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
  • Thank you received: 44
Unfortunately the only Model shop I knew of in Auckland that carried a halfway decent range of AM closed up shop and now operates out of a room smaller than my ensuite that you have to know how to find or you wouldn't even know it was there.
My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #3

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
Thats a shame Dean.
I can remember as a kid visiting a large model shop in Auckland (30 years ago) and it couldn't compare to the Frankton Model Shop back then.
Is the Frankton shop still going?
The best I've seen in NZ has got to be Accorn Models in Christchurch.
Awesome range, awesome service and reasonable prices too.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #4

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 294
Frankton is still going, Steve's models in Papakura is a pretty good shop with a nice range of paints. Hobby City is ok, it has a lot of RC which kind of swamps the models etc, hopefully with more room they can spread out their stock and we can finally see what they have. Modelair is a good shop, well laid out and not a bad selection of kits and bits.
Cambridge models closed down a couple of years ago which is a real shame, I used to love going over there at the weekend with the family, and the mutt. Used to stop off on the way to the lake and have a ganders around.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Gary.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #5

• Dean
Auckland's collection is shrinking, don't know if he's moved or what but Bringans outlet shop is closed, two that were in Browns Bay have closed, one in Glen Eden, one in Swanson, both closed, Ace is now in a cupboard and I suspect that's just delaying the inevitable, the one in Silverdale is gone. Modelair, both Hobbycitys and Merv Smith are all still there but Acorn Auckland is long gone and MSmith is more trains than kits. HCity is more diecasts and RC in Albany, slightly better range of kits and stuff in the City store which will soon be the Mt. Wellington store ( hopefully bigger shop means better range ). They're all there is for paints and tools etc, though some of the Toyworlds do an okay range of paints.

The unfortunate reality is ( and I'm an NZ Retailer/Distributor myself ), you can land stuff from HK for around 2/3 the retail price here. Once the walk-ins finally die off who's left to buy.
My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Dean.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #6

• Marder38
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm afraid Dean is right
I landed a 1/72 Revell Morser 21 for $20 including postage from Hobbyeasy Hong Kong
& they are $44.95 here.

Is Stokers in Greenlane still around?

Also we have Bay Hobbies in Tauranga

It's got to the point were I leave our shops empty handed more & more

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #7

• Dean
Marder38 wrote:
Is Stokers in Greenlane still around?

I haven't been there for about a year but he was still there then. But then so were about five or six of the ones mentioned above.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #8

• Gary
  • Administrator
The problem I see is with the retailers themsevles. Almost every kit is the full price of the kit plus shipping on each item, they are either greedy or not shopping smart and sharing the shipping.
If they cut their margins they would sell more, but on the other hand do they do enough trade to sell cheap and still cover the overheads?
To be honest I find the cost of most things in NZ extortionate, I buy books cheaper in England and get them shipped here and it's still cheaper, we bought our daughters school clothes from Marks and Spencer in England had it shipped here for half the cost that the school wanted. This is what is wrong imo, it's the same with the farmers, why should they sell their produce at a cheaper rate locally when they can get 3 times the amount selling it abroad.
Sorry rant over.
Gaz

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #9

• Dean
Part of the problem here is volume, whilst we may love the hobby there really aren't that many of us and we have diverse interests. There just isn't the buying population to support a shop having a full range of everything and being able to sell at a lower mark-up to allow volume to balance it out.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #10

• charlieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
it's the rent and rates that kills a business you have to have a thriving business to survive? when i was in partnership which i left two years ago to retire we was paying over £200 a week just to operate and that was only the rent and rates no wages, no wonder all these little shops go to the wall they have my sympathy.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #11

• olive drab
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
Most shops (Modelair Hobby city and Modelcrafts and Hobbies excluded) give the impression that the owners interests are reflected in the stocks. railways, radio control or contact with their local clubs.
One shop will have a discussion with a customer on one of these topics, he buys nothing, I spent over $100 on an E100 plus bits took the money and i left, bit like the supermarket, have I bought another kit from him no. His loss.
The people behind the other shops appear to do nothing to promote the hobby, basically for me they are glue and paint stops, at the moment tracking down rare kits and doing PE and updates which can only be sourced from overseas. I have better service from shops overseas.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #12

• Marder38
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I think NZ shops only gets a basic range of stuff to buy from the wholesalers
They buy whole ranges in then the most popular kits go & they sit on the less popular 2/3 kits
& don't (or can't?) re order just the faster popular selling kits in a range

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #13

• Dean
I think that's what killed Ace/Kangs. He was a modeller and his shop was full of models and all the bits you needed to go with them. He was the only shop I knew with a decent range of PE, and who carried resin kits and Friuls. But you just can't move that stuff in NZ for the prices you need to. I had/have accounts with Griffon, Voyager, Friul, Tasca and Wespe that I never use as they either have minimum order levels which are just too high for the NZ market or they end up too expensive here once you factor in shipping, customs clearance and brokerage fees and GST. Even on clearance when the price is lower than it is to bring it in yourself it usually just sits on the shelf. Some things just don't sell here and for most people price is the determining factor.
I ended up dropping the Mastebox distributorship as their sales requirements mean you need to move 2000 kits annually. Doesn't sound like much but we only managed 450 in the first year. It may have got better but the feedback I was getting was that figure kits just don't sell well.

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #14

• Gary
  • Administrator
Hey what I planned to do ages ago was to setup an NZ distribution network for ordering stuff. The basic idea was this,
Each month one of us would put an order in with one of the big online shops like Hannants, Sprubrothers, Hobby Link etc anyone wanting to buy stuff would send the cash (up front) and their order list to whoever was nominated as the "mule". They would place the order and the order would then be shipped only having to pay one lot of international shipping. We setup "drop off points" around the country in the big Cities\towns and ship everything to that person who then distributes it locally. But when you look at the likes of that company in Japan that does free shipping even this idea would struggle so what chance does a shop have.
It's still a good idea as it shares the cost of shipping but would need refining and working out the details.

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Re: New Zealand Model / Hobby shops 4 years 1 month ago #15

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
Gary wrote:
The problem I see is with the retailers themsevles
To be honest I find the cost of most things in NZ extortionate, I buy books cheaper in England and get them shipped here and it's still cheaper, we bought our daughters school clothes from Marks and Spencer in England had it shipped here for half the cost that the school wanted. This is what is wrong imo, it's the same with the farmers, why should they sell their produce at a cheaper rate locally when they can get 3 times the amount selling it abroad.
Sorry rant over.
Gaz

I totally agree with this Gary. An example of this was when I was shearing sheep full time, I could by a Sunbeam handpeice that was made in Australia $200 cheaper if I imported it from England, than I could buy it for at the local rural merchant.
The bloody thing had a trip right around the world and it was cheaper than coming straight across the ditch!!
  • Page: