TOPIC: AK's Latest - December 17

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #1

• grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1197
AK seem to be concentrating on Car modelling with this latest release of products, including a new FAQ book, some new paints and what I assume is a 2 Pack gloss.
mailchi.mp/ak-interactive/ak-december-ne...92sjbw8?e=002ee7fe7e
The following user(s) said Thank You: KitModellerNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #2

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 254
That gloss looks interesting, as do the diorama accessories.

With their weathering packs, I always check what they contain to see if I've already got the products as separate items. They're very clever when it comes to marketing new products which are very similar to other products in their range.

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #3

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 270
They have done some cracking terrain stuff recently.. expensive, but the quality and especially the colour is great.

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #4

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 929
I agree with all of the above but my main concern is that they are dumbing the hobby down. Really great effects are now achievable by those of us with less skills than the true masters and I worry that a part of the hobby is being lost.
I'm often being told that I'm "old school" but what is that really? I strive to be better at my hobby from an artistic perspective but these products take away a lot of the hard work. Is it lazy to use these products or is it just a sign of the times?
I'm just waffling but I think it would be a good topic for discussion, I was reminded of how far along the DARKSIDE I had come myself. I was discussing techniques with Gavin who cleared up the small scale figures category. He reminded me of how it was done before we had all these premixed shades.......... Wait for it.............. we used just a handful of colours and we blended them. This is the same for a lot of the things we take for granted these days, scenic materials to replicate the effects that we've been using for years. For instance Snow, snow in a bottle, before this we used to use micro balloons from the local fibreglass shop, plaster of paris or even baking soda etc.
Same with the various bottles of paint, flesh shade 1, flesh shade 2, flesh highlight 1 and so on, when did I stop just adding brown or white etc and start to line the pockets of these companies lol
Oh well it just means I can churn out more mediocre stuff than I used to :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #5

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 543
Totally agree Gary,you only need 3 colours to make any flesh colours, tones or shades.

Last Edit: by Glenn.

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #6

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 270
As a serial purchaser of unnecessary crap I then rarely use I can concur, especially on paint colours.

As a figure painter of near 40 years experience, flesh tones I have two (and could cheerfully just have one). I use red, white, yellow, blue, brown to mix on the fly. This is BETTER than using discreet shades as well as cheaper!

Armour colours and stuff are more of a mixed bag, everyone has their own ideas on what is right, and the old ranges did miss some pretty major tricks. I see no point in 10 shades of a colour to avoid mixing your own shades etc though (he says having wasted money on a modulation set and wondered why later).

Some of the scenics and weathering.. I sort of agree but also not, as some of the older techniques were not always as good as we old chaps like to imagine. Models considered very very good 25 years ago don't stand up to the best now which is fine. Time marches on.

I prefer to think the newer products lifted the base level of the game to 'really nice' and opened up new vistas of 'omg how?' to those with talent and prepared to put time and effort in.

I however 100% think that some of the aftermarket stuff nowadays feels (to ME, we all have our own ideas!) like a step too far for me.. pre-painted etch etc seems a bit much. But for some others that is all good.

Last Edit: by shaunfletcher.

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #7

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
I am a bit old school as far as kit building and dio’s go.
I have to build to a budget so all kits are out of box, painting and weathering done with Tamiya paint and pastels and oils.
Plaster, dirt from garden, stones etc make up my dios.
Cheep but I think my stud turns out ok.

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #8

• grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1197
I hear what you're saying G1, but in some ways it's the same argument and complaint seen all over when things change and evolve. I'm having the same internal argument myself around apps that make it easy to make videos and design by making a lot of the decisions for you. Yes in one way people are using them and not understanding design concepts, as they are able to shortcut them, but they are also able to do things they didn't have the mindset, or desire to do before hand so there are positives as well. Imagine when people started using airbrushes to paint kits for the first time, or when people made models from scratch, and then the first injection molded kits came out.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #9

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 929
I disagree with that statement. It's about the art of modelling, getting something that is half done already makes you less of an artist in my personal opinion.
Having an application that does something for you is different as there was never art or creativity involved in the first place and all it's doing is making the task more simple.
If you look at portrait artists it's still about painting the portrait, its like the aforementioned artist being supplied pre painted chins, noses, etc etc and then just gluing them in place and just blending them up.
It makes the artist less of an artist.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #10

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 258
The only thing that scares me on that AK release sheet is the 2 pot clear paint. This stuff is being normallised in our hobby and used widely by people (modellers) unaware of how deadly these paints are. I'm not going into a full explaination of why, how and what, (google is your friend here) but a paint chemist I know personally explained in much detail to me, the precautions to take in handling, mixing, spraying and cleaning up of these paints, going on to tell me sickening stories about professional painters that have taken silly risks and have paid for it with debilitating health outcomes. Long story short, I won't spray this stuff at home.

Last Edit: by Terry.

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #11

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 258

Gary wrote: pre painted chins, noses, etc etc and then just gluing them in place and just blending them up.

You heard it here first on Kiwi Modeller. All rights reserved © :lol:

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #12

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36

Terry wrote: The only thing that scares me on that AK release sheet is the 2 pot clear paint. This stuff is being normallised in our hobby and used widely by people (modellers) unaware of how deadly these paints are. I'm not going into a full explaination of why, how and what, (google is your friend here) but a paint chemist I know personally explained in much detail to me, the precautions to take in handling, mixing, spraying and cleaning up of these paints, going on to tell me sickening stories about professional painters that have taken silly risks and have paid for it with debilitating health outcomes. Long story short, I won't spray this stuff at home.

As long as you wear some type of mask and gloves and in a well vented room you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Henry

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 8 months ago #13

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
I remember using clear when I did my P&P course the staff smalls like window cleaner.

Thanks Henry

AK's Latest - December 17 1 year 7 months ago #14

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
  • Thank you received: 247
I'm all for making the hobby more accessible and if these packs of paints and accompanying books are the way then so be it.
My concern is once you scratch the surface of the product machines that are AK and Ammo that people will get even more confused by the huge number of smaller companies like Wilder, MRP, Mission, SMS etc etc and not know what is the good stuff, and what is basically a carbon copy of another companies product, or worse a cheap clone of a product someone actually put r&d into.

On Garys point about the art being lost, I would offer the counterpoint that rather than people struggling to acheive levels of weathering/diorama/finish previously held by master modelers, thanks to these products the opposite seems to be happening. there is a flood of over weathered, over rusted, over washed, over mudded kits being presented in magazines and websites.

If you want to create a run down, dragged through the mud then set on fire and left to rust kit that's fine, but in reality most of the subjects we see are actually looked after by their crews and unless placed in a scene can look very messy, and can identify someone using these products incorrectly or to excess.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary